Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Help! Which Unit to Apply for in WY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 PM

Help! Which Unit to Apply for in WY

I am hoping for some advice. I have recently moved to Wyoming, and will be a resident later this year. But I have to apply for elk as a non-resident. The good news is I have 6 preference points. So I am looking for a unit I can draw (regular or special), for a rifle hunt that has good numbers of elk and public access. I want to DIY, and wilderness is out unless anyone knows of an outfitter that would customize a hunt in Area 61 or something. I would maybe pay a reasonable trespass fee. Not looking for the monster - in fact after 15 years out west I have yet to kill a bull. Came close a few times, but just couldn't close the deal.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

Re: Help! Which Unit to Apply for in WY

Can't really help you much on an area, but after 15yrs of DIY and no bull I would be lookin at an outfitter. In fact I would have started 10 years ago. JMO. Welcome to the site though I'm sure someone can give you some advice.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Bronze Member

Find a friend that is a resident. Any wy resident can get a resident guides license from g& f for free. Check the g&f web for 2012 season draw odds for LQ units.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

You've only got a few hours left to apply! Where do you live / Does it matter to you what part of the state you hunt?