Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Headed out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Headed out

Put the smack down on one Mike, I keep waiting to see you smack one down way the heck out their!!!

No rain here, Roy!!! Dig the 338 with a 300gr bullet for shooting elk in the shoulder, I use the 270 a lot now but I used to have a bad case of cannonitis till I detached my retina in an accident and didn't want to risk it, now I'm working my way back up due to super sweet brakes Half way through my second 338 build and gathering parts for #3.

Good luck Mike

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Platinum Member

Green I didn't know the rain comment was directed to you. No disrespect intended and I'm sure Roy meant none either. Just some razzing. .. Although I do plan on disabling the front half of a cow if possible. . I will let you guys know what happens. My sister and dad have tags to So were Gonna try and pull a tripple. So odds are we Will end up shooting them under 500 if we get on them. I might Get lucky and get to do a long poke though.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
Green I didn't know the rain comment was directed to you. No disrespect intended and I'm sure Roy meant none either. Just some razzing. .. Although I do plan on disabling the front half of a cow if possible. . I will let you guys know what happens. My sister and dad have tags to So were Gonna try and pull a tripple. So odds are we Will end up shooting them under 500 if we get on them. I might Get lucky and get to do a long poke though.
My first name is Rhian, I'm perty sure Roy was poking It's OK the poor guy hasn't had anything in the scope in almost two years, I think it's affecting him. Good luck on the Trifecta

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Platinum Member

Hahaha OK good. And thanks!

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Dig the 338 with a 300gr bullet for shooting elk in the shoulder, I used to have a bad case of cannonitis till I detached my retina in an accident and didn't want to risk it,

Good luck Mike
Same here with macular degeneration. Yep! Sweet brakes are the secret!

Just learned of Nosler's 300 NAB. Am dreamin' of what a nifty brass point will do to it!

BB put a couple of 200 WCs into the shoulder joint of an aged bull @ 996 back in '06. DRT! Second shot was w/in 4" of first. There's no doubt that BB can shoot!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Bronze Member

It's pretty interesting for those of us who can't hunt elk. Good luck Mike!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

'nother jab The only reason BnG posted "why I don't shoot elk in the shoulder" is because he ain't carried a rig big enough to do it. Those pecker wood cartridges he lugs around leave a something on the table when it comes to dangerous game like elk & stuff.

Yep, a couple of seasons gone by w/no fur in the scope works on one's brain. 2 1/2 months to go. Should I live so long.

See ya'll this summer. Looking for a fun learning summer....Even planning on making at least one of those Montana shoots. I'm already jotting down some good possible excuses.

Good luck Tikka. Bring home the bacon!