Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

having trouble shooting long range on elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2013, 03:56 PM
Bronze Member

having trouble shooting long range on elk

went out for the opener of rifle here in montana with a friend . we went to an area i had not hunted in before so i just fallowed his lead going into this spot in the dark. on the way in i did hear a cpl bugles off in the prairie to the east. so when the sun came up i started glassing out that way and bingo i see elk. they looked to be about 3 1/2 -4 miles out there with not a single other hunter near them or even heading there way so off i went. the 1st spot i came up was around 200 yrds from some of the elk which were now all bedded down. i backed out and wet around to a new spot and bingo i could see most of the elk. looked them over real good and could only we 6 smaller rag horns 4 to 6 pointers but all way to young .
in this area my over the counter bull tag was also good for a cow. so found a nice big cow that looked like she was alone and without a calf and took the safety off and bang my elk hunting for the yr was all over. went over and taged her and a fast gut job i was off to camp. a cpl hundred yrds and i find a 2 track and it is going in the right direction . i meet up with my friend at camp and off we go in my kia sportage to see how close i can get to my elk. 4 miles later and i am backing right up to her. i pull out my range finder and point to the fence post i shot from and it reads 47 yrds . oh well maybe next yr i can take that 600 yrd shot.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
having trouble shooting long range on elk-elk-2013-season-005.jpg   having trouble shooting long range on elk-elk-2013-season-006.jpg  

having trouble shooting long range on elk-elk-2013-season-008.jpg  
Old 10-31-2013, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

Re: having trouble shooting long range on elk

Hey I'll take 47 over 600 any day. That cow is going to be better eating than a bull too.
Glad you filled your tag.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

There's a helluva lot to be said for being able to drive right to them!! Cow, Calf or Bull........when we can pick them up without field quartering/packing sooo much the better!

Well Done! Very nice sneak job!

Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
There's a helluva lot to be said for being able to drive right to them!! Cow, Calf or Bull........when we can pick them up without field quartering/packing sooo much the better!

Well Done! Very nice sneak job!
i have been very lucky that way with my last 5 elk. i have taken all of them out whole
these have all been shot on land that anybody with a tag and can walk more then 100 yrds can hunt. BLM, private ranch's both in block management and some that let you hunt there if you just walk up and ask. thank god we in mt can still do this for now. it would be a real shame to see this place turn into a place where every acre is leased up by some hunting club or tv hunting show just to film a prostaffer shooting a whitetail from a treestand