Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

good pack for elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: good pack for elk

so i take it you guys do not like the external packs the alps commander seemed like a good deal. thanks i'll keep looking
Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

I much prefer the external pack frames for hauling out meat over the internal frames. We hunt with a small day pack with the essentials and then go back in with the pack frames to haul the meat out. Two guys can get out an average elk in one trip if you de-bone it.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

I really like the eberlestock X2 I use it for my day pack and it has an internal frame, super nice to carry all day and when you get an elk down it is more than capable of packing out a quarter, then when I get to my truck I grab my external frame pack for the rest of the trips
Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 AM

I use a mystery ranch crew cab and really like it. It will haul more than I care to put in it and with the NICE frame you can buy different bags for it as well. Packs are like everything else in my opinion you can never have too many.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Gold Member

I agree with bigngreen. I like an external frame for packing out elk. Use a blackcreek and badlands for everything else. I really like the Cabelas Alaskan guide. Have hauled out many elk with it. Its a great pack.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffneck View Post
I use a mystery ranch crew cab and really like it. It will haul more than I care to put in it and with the NICE frame you can buy different bags for it as well. Packs are like everything else in my opinion you can never have too many.
I have both a Mystery Ranch CC and a Eberlestock X2. Tried most of them and these are the two I ended up with.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I much prefer the external pack frames for hauling out meat over the internal frames. We hunt with a small day pack with the essentials and then go back in with the pack frames to haul the meat out. Two guys can get out an average elk in one trip if you de-bone it.

Huh...didn't realize Montana elk were that small.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein