Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Gonna open a can of worms.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Gonna open a can of worms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
Yes I have used Nosler partitions in factory loads, Federals. I also handload now trying to squeeze more accuracy out of my rifle.
If you are hand loading, I found the Swift Sciroco 150 to be a great shooting round in 4 different 7mm I've loaded for. The bullet has a great BC and I have dropped elk dead in their tracks out to 550 yards with it. Often at 400 yards, I have hit ribs on one side with a decent size entry wound in and the bullet exited out the far side with a good 1-2" hole. About half the time the bullet went through and through depending upon where the round hit in the ribs and how many bones it encountered. The bullets that I did recover mushroomed nicely and did not fall apart.

Three of the guns liked 67 grains of RL 22, and mine likes 68 grains. Its hot, and shoots 3/4" at 3280 fps out of a 26" brl. The 67 grain loads shoot 3150 out of 26" brls.

My only problem with the reloading is I can't find RL 22 anywhere.

Good luck!

Old 03-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
If you are hand loading, I found the Swift Sciroco 150 to be a great shooting round in 4 different 7mm I've loaded for. The bullet has a great BC and I have dropped elk dead in their tracks out to 550 yards with it. Often at 400 yards, I have hit ribs on one side with a decent size entry wound in and the bullet exited out the far side with a good 1-2" hole. About half the time the bullet went through and through depending upon where the round hit in the ribs and how many bones it encountered. The bullets that I did recover mushroomed nicely and did not fall apart.

Three of the guns liked 67 grains of RL 22, and mine likes 68 grains. Its hot, and shoots 3/4" at 3280 fps out of a 26" brl. The 67 grain loads shoot 3150 out of 26" brls.

My only problem with the reloading is I can't find RL 22 anywhere.

Good luck!
Thanks for the loads on the 7mm. I have always been a 300 winmag fan but recently bought a 7mm mag. I will be experimenting with the 7mm. The high BC on some of those 7mm bullets look good and after going to Shawn Carlock's shooting school, I am still in shock how far we shot. And he uses more 7mm than others.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:42 PM
Silver Member

Funny, cause I'm just the opposite. My first rifle I purchased was my 7mm when I was 18. I won $500 at a big game raffle and turned it into a gun. The problem with my gun is it wasn't stainless. Riding on a horse with your gun in the scabbard for several hours can do wonders when it comes to rust. So about 4 years ago I bought a stainless .A Bolt 2 in a .300 win mag. It wasn't new, but gently used, and I like the stock much more than old one. So now I kill elk with the .300 and 7mm is my back up or my loner.

We always take two guns each when we elk hunt. Seems like every year somebody breaks something on their gun, drops it etc. Horses and guns can be a tricky adventure.

As far as the 7mm goes. Berger makes a good bullet and Nosler AB in 160 is a killer too. Good luck and enjoy.