Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Getting ready to apply for WY elk. Can't decide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

Re: Getting ready to apply for WY elk. Can't decide.

I also have dreams of big bulls, but at 66 years of age, my time is limited. I lacked the dollars when I was a youg man with a family. Now I can go on at least one hunt every few years for a trophy bull, but now have to wait for tag draws. I will draw in Nevada in a couple of years and also Arizona. Both areas are 300 + bull units. I will hire a guide on both of these hunts.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

Re: Getting ready to apply for WY elk. Can't decide.

Monster bulls hit the ground every year in Area 7. Some may say it's over-rated or over-hunted. I disagree. If you want a 350+, I would think very hard about applying for 7 and hiring an outfitter if you do. One reason is that there is a lot of private at the base so access may be tough. Another reason is that they issue out so many tags in 7 that once you get to the public, it will most likely be crowded. If you want, I can point you in the direction of a less 'popular' and less expensive outfitter compared to operations like the Wagonhound.