Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Getting ready to apply for WY elk. Can't decide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Getting ready to apply for WY elk. Can't decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
well for a DIY I think 100 is your best chance if you can draw it unless you want to pay and outfitter or trespass fees then that will open a lot of windows
Thank you. From what I am gathering, an outfitter may be the best route for a non-resident. If hiring one is not in the cards this year, I may put in for a PP and try and draw a good tag and hire an outfitter next year.

Thanks for the advice.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Gold Member

I think one other thing to consider is if you prefer open long range glassing country or timber style hunting. This past season after finding next to nothing for bucks in the popular WY mule deer unit we were in I called the game manager for the area and asked about the unit next door since we could hunt it also. She said there were a few deer there but it is more of a desert type terrain and couldnt even guess as to tell me where to start. I told her lady I'm from Phoenix and I'm used to looking for deer in the desert. The next day we had a 170 class on the ground! My point is I love to glass and almost all of my hunting is done this way. Take away my glass and I'm lost. I respect those of you who successfully hunt the timber and I'm not satin I won't but prefer not to. I saw a pretty nice bull elk out there in what WY locals call desert. I'd probably try that style if it were me!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

A buddy shot a big bull (at least 350) in unit 7, with wagon wheel outfitters IIRC. I have a buddy that I played football in college w/ who shed hunts that ground I believe and they both told me really big bulls. Also, really expensive.
Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

An issue not yet discussed is that your not going to have a chance to hunt in most of these units, unless you have a lot of preference points. I don't have my Eastmans but for some of the better units I am thinking 7 or more points to be competative, for a draw.
I think its actually cheaper to move there!!!
Old 01-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkmen View Post
An issue not yet discussed is that your not going to have a chance to hunt in most of these units, unless you have a lot of preference points. I don't have my Eastmans but for some of the better units I am thinking 7 or more points to be competative, for a draw.
I think its actually cheaper to move there!!!
Good news for me! I have max points.

Even then, there are some units that have low single digit draw odds. :(

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

Great
If you don't subscrribe to Eastmans find someone who does and get a copy of their current issue. It has a great chart on every Wyoming Unit, the good and the bad, preference points very much like you have gotten here.

Good luck on the draw my application went in already !!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2012, 07:32 AM
Silver Member

[QUOTE=Michael Eichele;594328]

I dont have visions of 350 bulls running and prancing around everywhere.

QUOTE]

I DO have these visions!!! I dream, both night and day, about big bulls!! One day I will have the opportunity to go hunting for them. Until then....they'll be prancing around in my head! LOL