Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Getting ready to apply for WY elk. Can't decide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Gold Member

Re: Getting ready to apply for WY elk. Can't decide.

If your set on an Oct. 1st hunt the 2 that look appealing to me are 54/65 and 63/64. You could get away with no guide in these areas I believe though I don't know from experience just a little research. The others I mentioned earlier are not Oct. 1st hunts so I added these.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
If your set on an Oct. 1st hunt the 2 that look appealing to me are 54/65 and 63/64. You could get away with no guide in these areas I believe though I don't know from experience just a little research. The others I mentioned earlier are not Oct. 1st hunts so I added these.
Seems like we are on the same page. I applied last year for 63/64. I may again this year. Sounds like I have to hike quite a while to get into the better bulls.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Wyoming has always been a good spot for nice bulls in the 280-330 range but wolves have hurt us quite a bit.
this a LOT closer to reality. Wyoming has a plague of weak 3rds on elk so find one with good 3rd's better shoot it

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

I think you guys misunderstand what I am looking for. I realize there are no units with 350 bulls running around everywhere. Believe me, if anybody knows that, I do. My point is that I am looking for my best opportunity to have a chance or chances at a 350 bull. Best chance, thats all. I know I may spend 2 weeks there and never even see a 320 bull let alone a 350+ bull. Just looking for the best chance. Nothing more, nothing less.

Clear as mud?

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
So I am in a quandry as to what to do about WY elk. I am dead set on a solid 350" 6x6 or better. I've harvested a couple of smaller bulls and am not going to harvest anything less than what I really want. M
I think this is where I got confused, I thought you were "dead set on a solid 350" 6x6 or better"

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I think this is where I got confused, I thought you were "dead set on a solid 350" 6x6 or better"
Yes. I am dead set on a solid 350 bull or better. What that means is, I will go home empty if I cant find the bull I am looking for. I am still looking for my BEST CHANCE. Nothing more, nothing less. I dont go hunting for sure things. I go for possible opportunites. I dont have visions of 350 bulls running and prancing around everywhere. Thats not what I am looking for. Just my best chance.

I am sure if you were dead set on a 60" moose, you would know that you may never see one on your hunt. I am sure you would still like to be where your best chance of seeing one is.

You can relate to this right?

Jeff.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

well for a DIY I think 100 is your best chance if you can draw it unless you want to pay and outfitter or trespass fees then that will open a lot of windows