Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Getting ready to apply for WY elk. Can't decide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:52 AM
Gold Member

Re: Getting ready to apply for WY elk. Can't decide.

If your set on an Oct. 1st hunt the 2 that look appealing to me are 54/65 and 63/64. You could get away with no guide in these areas I believe though I don't know from experience just a little research. The others I mentioned earlier are not Oct. 1st hunts so I added these.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:54 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortpants View Post
If your set on an Oct. 1st hunt the 2 that look appealing to me are 54/65 and 63/64. You could get away with no guide in these areas I believe though I don't know from experience just a little research. The others I mentioned earlier are not Oct. 1st hunts so I added these.
Seems like we are on the same page. I applied last year for 63/64. I may again this year. Sounds like I have to hike quite a while to get into the better bulls.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
Wyoming has always been a good spot for nice bulls in the 280-330 range but wolves have hurt us quite a bit.
this a LOT closer to reality. Wyoming has a plague of weak 3rds on elk so find one with good 3rd's better shoot it

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Platinum Member

I think you guys misunderstand what I am looking for. I realize there are no units with 350 bulls running around everywhere. Believe me, if anybody knows that, I do. My point is that I am looking for my best opportunity to have a chance or chances at a 350 bull. Best chance, thats all. I know I may spend 2 weeks there and never even see a 320 bull let alone a 350+ bull. Just looking for the best chance. Nothing more, nothing less.

Clear as mud?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
So I am in a quandry as to what to do about WY elk. I am dead set on a solid 350" 6x6 or better. I've harvested a couple of smaller bulls and am not going to harvest anything less than what I really want. M
I think this is where I got confused, I thought you were "dead set on a solid 350" 6x6 or better"

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 01-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I think this is where I got confused, I thought you were "dead set on a solid 350" 6x6 or better"
Yes. I am dead set on a solid 350 bull or better. What that means is, I will go home empty if I cant find the bull I am looking for. I am still looking for my BEST CHANCE. Nothing more, nothing less. I dont go hunting for sure things. I go for possible opportunites. I dont have visions of 350 bulls running and prancing around everywhere. Thats not what I am looking for. Just my best chance.

I am sure if you were dead set on a 60" moose, you would know that you may never see one on your hunt. I am sure you would still like to be where your best chance of seeing one is.

You can relate to this right?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Platinum Member

well for a DIY I think 100 is your best chance if you can draw it unless you want to pay and outfitter or trespass fees then that will open a lot of windows