Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

first time hunting colorados flat top mountains

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 09:08 PM

first time hunting colorados flat top mountains

first time elk hunting in Colorado. looking in the flat tops, second rifle season, would like to no how bad the hunting pressure is and if this is a good area to go.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 PM

Re: first time hunting colorados flat top mountains

expect heavy hunting pressure, it has been a few years since i hunted the Flattops around Buford. took my first bull there, the elk seem to run on the small side from my experience hunting other areas. hunted gun season one year and went back next year for bow season. harvested my elk on water hole and thought would be good during bow season and went to set up on it, but there were 3 hang on stands already. between the 4 in our party we took one small 4x4 bull and 3pt deer. one good thing with lots of pressure, it gets the elk moving around alot.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 AM

The flat tops wilderness area is beautiful country with manageable terrain. there is a lot of access via Blm and Forrest service access and fire roads. Lot's of animals both deer and Elk. I have typically gone 2 rifle season. By third rifle season the animals have been pressured tremendously. Lots of aspens stands that open onto small meadows. You can experience three seasons in a single day up there. Nice place to hunt. Good luck.

I'm hunting Routt this year 1st rifle season. No access by truck or atv. Going in with horses. Tough terrain. Should be a challenge. Will make my Elk taste even better!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 PM

i hunted the Routt outside of Walden, tough terrain but the animals run a little bigger where i hunted. killed my best timber buck there and saw a couple of 350-400 class elk in the wilderness area. had a big herd bull pegged before season opened, but could not close the deal. opening day trying to call him in, he circled be grunting and got down wind and went out of the country, never saw or heard him again.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:50 AM

Old Goat,

I went up there a couple weeks ago and spent a couple days in the woods to check out the terrain. It was dryer than I've ever seen it. Creeks were dry. Water holes were dry. I'm hoping for some rain and snow over the next two weeks. It was actually beginning to rain as I left there. If you're up in that area and have time, there's some good fishing at Stagecoach State Park when you're on your way back down. But, the water level was low there as well.

good luck this year. Maybe you'll run into that Big herd Bull or maybe you'll see him in the back of my truck as I'm leaving!

Philly