Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

First Time Elk; Bow, rifle...Handgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM
Silver Member

First Time Elk; Bow, rifle...Handgun?

For a first time Elk hunt, on public land, self guided; whould you recomend a bowhunt, riflehunt or handgun hunt.

Reasoning goes to hunting preasure and ease of drawing a tag. I don't want to be fighting other hunters for space on the mountian. Plus, I want to see elk. Any recomendations?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: First Time Elk; Bow, rifle...Handgun?

Bowhunting is pretty relaxed after the opening weekend and you have a long season. A lot of it depends upon how much time you have to hunt and what your skills are with a bow. Low skill levels will make it difficult.

I do not know anywhere that has a special handgun season and I am just about as accurate with a bow as a handgun.

Rifle hunt is what everyone does so there are lots of options available. What I do nowadays is apply to Utah for limited entry elk to build up point for the draw and being as I have bought a expensive hunting license to get the points, I then bowhunt and get a rifle antlerless tag. This build up my knowledge base of the general hunting area as well as elk hunting techniques so when I finally get enough point to draw a special tag I will be ready for it.

That's just one philosophy of elk hunting and there are lots of others.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: First Time Elk; Bow, rifle...Handgun?

Don't know where you are going. It is hard to get an elk with a bow during the rut September will help. I would go with a rifle for your first elk and then later with a bow as you learn the area and habits of the elk.