Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Finally My First Elk!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: Finally My First Elk!

Congrats Riley nice job I see a large Bull looming in your future.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick523 View Post
Congrats Riley nice job I see a large Bull looming in your future.
Thanks, I sure hope so!!

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 01-01-2013, 03:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
You'd be surprised the percentage of elk I cut that have been jacked up in the front end and healed.
Really? You see it somewhat often??

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Riley,
Congrats on the score, and a nice shot too! It is GREAT to see your interest, in real life activities, rather then " cyber hunts". That seems to be more the norm nowadays, which is a shame. Your dad must be proud!!!! Good job! All the best in the New Year!
Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
Really? You see it somewhat often??
Ya you'll see it a lot if you cut a lot, my buddy went three years in a row killing an elk that had been previously shot.
You see two thing commonly, bullet didn't penetrate the shoulder and it's a mass of healed bone and gristly scare tissue or they'll have the tops of the spine shot of. I also see them when they come down on the fields, you see far more shoulder shot elk limping down than anything else. When you take apart that elk shoulder look at the size of the ball socket on the blade down the the next joint, and a cow will be light compared to a bull!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Ya you'll see it a lot if you cut a lot, my buddy went three years in a row killing an elk that had been previously shot.
You see two thing commonly, bullet didn't penetrate the shoulder and it's a mass of healed bone and gristly scare tissue or they'll have the tops of the spine shot of. I also see them when they come down on the fields, you see far more shoulder shot elk limping down than anything else. When you take apart that elk shoulder look at the size of the ball socket on the blade down the the next joint, and a cow will be light compared to a bull!
The bullet went into her leg but didnt exit, i am 99% sure of that. It is a large mass of tough strong scar tissue just like you described. I saw your thread "why i dont shoulder shoot elk" and the point of the shoulder is insane!! While she was laying down after the shot i followed the bone down until i got to the point and its about the size of a tennis ball. I am going to keep the shoulder blades for bullet testing, much better than wood.

I'm 16
~George Washington

~ JE Custom