Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Elk in Utah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Elk in Utah

I had a deer tag in the three corners area last year. Saw lots of elk and some really nice bulls. Send me a PM with any questions you have. We hunted Oct. 20-28th I believe.

Elk in Utah-photo.png

Elk in Utah-elk.png
Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Bronze Member

Great pictures, I assume this is when you were deer hunting and didn't have an elk tag? That is a really nice elk. I will send a PM, thanks
Mark
Old 08-20-2013, 02:53 PM
Silver Member

Yes you are correct. We only had general deer tags and no elk tag. I have some video of this bull I will try and load up.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
Great pictures, I assume this is when you were deer hunting and didn't have an elk tag? That is a really nice elk. I will send a PM, thanks
Mark

Those are screenshots that I took while the video I shot was playing on my phone. I didn't have any actual pics so had to improvise. I think he was well over 1000 yds at that point.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

I'm pretty familiar with the Wyoming side of the line there. It seems I always hear of the bigger elk being found to the east of Flaming Gorge Reservoir.

We've been putting in for the elk area on the Wyoming-Colorado border, just east of Utah, for the past few years. No luck yet but every year somebody gets a couple big ones of the desert out there. I'm sure the same holds true for the Utah side.

Good Luck!!

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-
Old 08-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB11WYO View Post
I'm pretty familiar with the Wyoming side of the line there. It seems I always hear of the bigger elk being found to the east of Flaming Gorge Reservoir.

We've been putting in for the elk area on the Wyoming-Colorado border, just east of Utah, for the past few years. No luck yet but every year somebody gets a couple big ones of the desert out there. I'm sure the same holds true for the Utah side.

Good Luck!!

Know the area pretty good. I used to live in WY and hunted Pine Mt and Little MT a lot. Now I get to hunt the UT side which sucks for deer, but is pretty good for elk. I looked into putting in on the Colorado side, but looks like it takes 20+ points to draw that area. I have max non res points for WY and will hopefully draw a Pine or Little MT tag soon.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarheadhunter View Post
Know the area pretty good. I used to live in WY and hunted Pine Mt and Little MT a lot. Now I get to hunt the UT side which sucks for deer, but is pretty good for elk. I looked into putting in on the Colorado side, but looks like it takes 20+ points to draw that area. I have max non res points for WY and will hopefully draw a Pine or Little MT tag soon.
We put in for Little Mtn and Aspen Mtn for a few years. My sister got a couple cow tags but that was it. Now we're turned-on to the Kinney Rim area (next area to the east), no luck as of yet. Couple of my dad's work buddies got some way nice bulls out there the last few years

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-