Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Elk talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 03:00 AM
Silver Member

Elk talk

Hey guys. I am new to elk hunting and have a question about elk bugling. I drew an elk tag in an area that doesn't have a lot of elk. Obviously with less elk there won't be as much bugling as if there were a lot. My question is this. Since there are less elk, will that reduce the amount of bugling the ones that are there will do or will they still be pretty vocal? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Elk talk

Interesting question and quite honestly I donít know the answer. Iím around elk most every day or at least around where they live and mainly itís the time of year that really determines how vocal they are. Bulls will bugle all year long not much but they do.

I would think that if there were a few bulls either thinned out by wolfs or lots of hunting pressure they would tend to be pretty quiet even during the rut.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 09-05-2009, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the response. There are no wolves in the area to speak of. Hunting pressure I am not too sure of. There is a definite lack of water in this area compared to some others and my guess is the available food source isn't as plentiful or as desirable to elk as in some other areas. Further north in another hunt zone I heard 4-5 bulls bugling in mid-Oct last year. But there are quite a few more elk in this area compared to where I was drawn. Hopefully I will hear some on some upcoming scouting trips. It was a pretty dry summer here and the skies opened up this weekend so far and let loose on some much needed moisture. I am sure this will change things as far as concentrating the animals. So now to go back and look at all of those promising spots that I couldn't find sign.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

Elk will bugle during the rut, wolves or no wolves. I've seen that plenty in Yellowstone NP. Less elk will mean less bugling, but not so much on an individual basis, but just because there are less elk. I have done a good bit of bugling and have gotten few responses and I'm fairly good at it, so I've been told. Once in a while, you will catch a bull in just the right hormone moment and he will get really stupid. I had one close a 1/4 mile distance in about 5 min and he was hoping mad 15 yds on top of me. Very rare occurance.

Use your bugle sparingly and dont sound like the biggest dude in the forest. Learn to use a cow call well. You can sometimes locate a bull with a bugle and close the deal with some cow calling if you're good and they dont scent you.

By my experience, weather, moon, time of rut and individual hormone cycle are the big players for bugling. Hot weather will shut them down during the day, but a little cow talk might get one interested. Cow talk is also a good way to cover any noise you might make.

Good hunting,

-MR
Old 09-06-2009, 01:50 AM
Silver Member

So what you are saying is that on an individual basis they will still bugle, you just won't hear as much as if there were a lot of elk. That is what I wanted to know. I drew a rifle tag and won't hunt till mid Oct. Was hoping to use bugling , more listening than doing, as a tool for scouting since there are so few elk in this area to narrow it down some as to were to spend my time. Going to school and working puts a limit on my time and I want to spend it as wisely as I can. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Bugling starts slowing down about the first week in Oct up here. I dont know about AZ, but I'm guessing your rut will be close to ours. Cow talk can still work to some degree and you might find a bull still interested in mating. Cow talk is always good for covering your own movement and calming spooky elk. Their habbits will also change. Around here you wont find them in the same places a month after rut and they start heard up into larger groups. Once the general season starts, the pressure tends to break them up again.

Good shooting,

-MR
Old 09-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

The past couple years the rut has moved to the 1st week of Oct. here so the cows are on there last cycle the first week of rifle season. I saw bulls still breeding cows in Nov. I saw a couple small spotted calves during bow last year the cycle has gotten so late.
It seem the first week of rifle you can get them to locate with a bugle but not really work the call, so I use it a fair bit in rifle to just locate and get a direction on them. I always carry a cow call just to settle things down if you bump some.

Like MontanRifleman said don't go it like you trying to win a bugling contest cause they will let you win, locate, get your wind right, move in then close it with some sweet cow talkn.