Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Elk rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Silver Member

Re: Elk rifle

The brake cleaner I use contains "petroleum distillates". I use it to flush out any loose crud before cleaning the stuck on crud. It is basically an aerosol flush that evaporates fast.

It doesn't contain ammonia so it doesn't cut copper.

It also works as a good flush to remove leftover cleaners and crud that has been knocked loose by it.

The cleaners work pretty well and I have found that most of the patching done is to remove debris that can be flushed out. It also smears that debris all over the bore when you patch instead of flush.

The idea is to reduce the amount of time the bore sees with a cleaning rod in it.

I found that the bore guide itself will get full of crap so you need to flush that out too.
Old 01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

Why not get a 338-06 or 338-06AI and get the bullet size of 338 with lower recoil? Just a thought....
I've been going over the same problem in my head but am seriously thinking of just going with a 338-06 with a 24" barrel that will be light and not too bad to shoot. This will be easier to pack in the mountain than my 15 lb 7WSM. I'll admit I've never gone elk hunting, but am planning on going when I get back from my deployment

Win Model 70
7WSM
Work done by Jim See (Center Shot Rifles)

Old 01-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

My nephew uses a .338-06. It does the job, but wouldn't be the best choice for over 300yds, in my opinion. In the dark timber it would be an excellent choice. With the heavier bullets, it'll kick harder than an '06, but considerably less than the .338 magnums.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 01-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Silver Member

Tom-

I was thinking the same thing about distance. I was thinking 300 would be my max distance and shoot 200-225 grain accubonds. Should be able to take them down with a shoulder shot at those distances.

Win Model 70
7WSM
Work done by Jim See (Center Shot Rifles)

Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

My 338-06AI shoots within 150 fps of my 338 win mag. You can load 185 grain Barnes ttsx bullets at 3050 fps with very little recoil. It would be deadly on elk to several hundred yards and be a better choice for elk than the smaller caliber magnums such as the 7mm rem mag. I have been doing drop tests on the 185 ttsx since it came out last summer. The .432 bc they list is way low. I have to plug in a much higher bc to match my drops.
Old 01-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthurj View Post
I think y'all have finally broken me and I'm buying a 338. I'll learn to deal with the brake, I always use ear plugs anyway. I'm pretty excited about having a big boy in the safe. I know the 7 would probably do it but if I left a wounded elk out there my first hunt and knew I could have used some more firepower I would be pretty upset!
Glad to see that. Im sure you wont be dissapointed in the results.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

I'm glad you are buying a .338.

I am convinced many "missed" elk were not missed at all. An elk is a VERY large target to miss completely and an elk (unlike many other game animals) will often not show reaction to a bullet hit. If the elk doesn't drop in 40 yards or leave a blood trail many hunters will presume it's OK. I presume all "missed" elk were hit unless I spotted the bullet impact clear of the elk. I am convinced an unacceptable number of elk are shot & not recovered every year because too little gun was used FOR THE SHOT THAT WAS TAKEN. Yes, a .243 may kill elk if everything is perfect, but a .340 Weatherby will kill elk even when you screw up and shots aren't perfect.

Given the choice of the two, I would cary a .375 H&H before I would cary a .270 win for hunting elk in mixed terrain. I think a .340 Weatherby is probably the best elk cartridge ever, and that a .300 mag, Win, WSM or Weatherby is the smallest cartridge I consider an acceptable elk cartridge because it car drive a relatively heavy bullet into an elk at expected elk ranges.