Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Elk or Mule Deer?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 12:13 AM
Silver Member

Re: Elk or Mule Deer?

I live and hunt very near to the Three Forks Ranch. Mule deer numbers or on the low side right now, elk numbers or good. I would go with elk. No matter wich you choose it should be a great hunt. Good luck!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Bronze Member

You know you can buy unlimited over the counter Bull Elk tags for the state of Colorado, right??? Where as it takes a minimum of 2 pref points to draw a muley tag, in just about any GMA there.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:45 AM
Bronze Member

Where in wyo is this 3 forks ranch? I live in southern wyo, haven't heard of it. I know where I'm at the mule deer numbers have been on the decline for a couple years. Still some great bucks, just have to work harder. We are overrun with elk though and anyone coming in sees lots of elk and has a great hunt. I think you'd enjoy either hunt, but if it were me I'd go with the elk and save my money up for a mulie hunt in the future. The snowy range which has been a general license for deer is now going to limited quota and some areas are having point restrictions. Should be a bright future for mule deer hunting!
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imohunting View Post
Where in wyo is this 3 forks ranch? I live in southern wyo, haven't heard of it. I know where I'm at the mule deer numbers have been on the decline for a couple years. Still some great bucks, just have to work harder. We are overrun with elk though and anyone coming in sees lots of elk and has a great hunt. I think you'd enjoy either hunt, but if it were me I'd go with the elk and save my money up for a mulie hunt in the future. The snowy range which has been a general license for deer is now going to limited quota and some areas are having point restrictions. Should be a bright future for mule deer hunting!

***It's not in Wyoming. It's a 50,000 acre ranch under the Ranching For Wildlife Program outside of Hayden, CO that caters to the high rollers. The room rates alone at the Lodge start at $700+ per person a night and they have year around activities (hunting, fishing, trap shooting, horses, skiing, etc.). Antelope hunts are $4500, elk starts at $8500 for five days, and a mulie hunt for 5 days is $9250. Just your average place, LOL!!!
Old 04-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Bronze Member

Ouch! Could have several DIY hunts for that price.