Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Elk hunting in Montana?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Elk hunting in Montana?

Has anyone on here got any experience hunting elk in montana. Just looking for some info on reliable guides and areas that I should look into. planning a trip for 2013
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: Elk hunting in Montana?

Look at my Facebook link! Montana in the area where I live and used to guide is the land of used to be! 10 years ago I could have set you up with the hunt of a life time. If you want a big (over 330) bull I would say do not be fooled by any outfitter in Park County MT.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster740 View Post
Look at my Facebook link! Montana in the area where I live and used to guide is the land of used to be! 10 years ago I could have set you up with the hunt of a life time. If you want an elk I would say do not be fooled by any outfitter in Park County MT.
Fixed it for you.

Having hunted in the Paradise Valley in 2007 and 2009 and then visited in 2010 I'll say this -

the elk herd truly is 1/4 of what it was not many years ago, and yes it's due to the wolves. We had a great outfitter whose hunting business has been decimated by the wolf reintroduction and I feel truly sorry for him. I would not pick anything in any wolf area if you want to find an elk. This includes Montana, Idaho or Wyoming. It's easy enough to Google a map of the current wolf habitat area and see what you should avoid. Most outfitters will be honest with you as well.

I hope that someday the elk numbers will bounce back to the level of 15 years ago but I'm not holding my breath on that one...
Old 07-05-2012, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Montana FWP is making public statements that some herds are on the edge of becoming extinct. They'll probably sell you a unicorn tag as well.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Montana FWP is making public statements that some herds are on the edge of becoming extinct. They'll probably sell you a unicorn tag as well. The wolf fraud continues.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

Hello,

Yes, I hunted with Black Mountain Outfitters a couple years ago based out of Bozeman.
Outstanding outfit, quality equipped, true wilderness hunt, on horseback, tents, great food, stories, hot remote equipped shower, and we saw grizzlies, wolves, elk, much more.
4 hunters on this hunt, and 2 killed, 1 missed, and the other could not get a shot. You drive through Yellowstone (north entrance) ride an hour to the horses, then ride the horses 4 hours to their remote camp just outside of Yellowstone.

A guide brings the rifles, 9 hour horseback ride over the mountain into camp from another directionas no guns are allowed to travel in Yellowstone.

The owners, Scott and Sandy Sallee are great people, member of the Montana Guides association and are true outfitters.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyman View Post
Hello,

Yes, I hunted with Black Mountain Outfitters a couple years ago based out of Bozeman.
Outstanding outfit, quality equipped, true wilderness hunt, on horseback, tents, great food, stories, hot remote equipped shower, and we saw grizzlies, wolves, elk, much more.
4 hunters on this hunt, and 2 killed, 1 missed, and the other could not get a shot. You drive through Yellowstone (north entrance) ride an hour to the horses, then ride the horses 4 hours to their remote camp just outside of Yellowstone.

A guide brings the rifles, 9 hour horseback ride over the mountain into camp from another directionas no guns are allowed to travel in Yellowstone.

The owners, Scott and Sandy Sallee are great people, member of the Montana Guides association and are true outfitters.
I have to apologize because I forgot about These guys. I personally know Scott and Sandy Sallee and they have a first class operation. I would say that your chances of killing a hell of a bull with Scott are better then anybody around. They have an absolutely amazing back country camp! That is as plush of an operation for wall tent camping as it gets. From the solar lighting along the walk ways going from tent to tent, to the amazing fishing in the area.
There big benefit is that they also have some very exellent hunting during regular season that is in an area with very few wolves.
Scott and Sandy are honest great people.