Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Elk hunt planning - Idaho, Montana, or Colorado?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 04:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Elk hunt planning - Idaho, Montana, or Colorado?

You can hunt the Flat Tops Wilderness in Colorado with no preference points. There are a lot of elk there and you can hunt them with a bow in the rut. We set up spike camp at 11,000 feet and have had tremendous success there. And if you want with 1 point you should be able to draw a muzzleloader tag which I believe comes in there right around the second week of September so your in the rut. That being said I've never hunted in Idaho but I like idelkslayers thoughts on being able to hunt other animals especially since I've never taken most mentioned there.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

I have a 10 day drop camp set up for November this year in the Selway/Frank Church area. Looks like a great area, and we are fully prepared to hunt our asses off to get an elk on the ground. There are some monsters taken there, and for an extra $30 each you can add wolf, bear, and mtn. lion tags to your hunt.

I'll be taking the 338 Lapua and 280AI on the hunt looking for some long shots if they can be had. Anyone on here have any experience in this unit for us "future" hunters? how's the terrain? heavy timber or wide open? I've looked at some topos and it looks like we may be able to get a little spot and stalk in, but nothing like first hand experience.

I am looking at a late season hunt, so the Elk should be coming out of rut, moving around a little, and the Mulleys should be in full swing. The plan is to hunt like hell for the Elk and deer, then hunt over the carcasses for the predators and see what happens.

Y'all throw in your two cents on this unit, hunt or strategy. Any advice or input in general is better than nothing!
Old 02-15-2014, 02:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLD338 View Post
Anyone on here have any experience in this unit for us "future" hunters? how's the terrain? heavy timber or wide open? I've looked at some topos and it looks like we may be able to get a little spot and stalk in, but nothing like first hand experience.
Not precisely first hand but dang close. One word - steep! Typos don't do justice.

Use google earth and crank the elevation setting up to 3 for a better feel.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Gold Member

I just want to add that in many areas in Colorado the elk are rutting well into October for the 1st and 2nd season rifle hunts. The point being that you don't have to limit a Colorado hunt to just bow hunting (assuming you want to hunt elk in the rut).

The Colorado either-sex elk archery tag is over the counter. So this allows you to apply for a draw 1st-season rifle tag. If you don't draw you can fall back to the over the counter either-sex archery tag.

Even if you do draw a rifle tag, you can always turn it in and get an over the counter archery tag (as long as you do it before the archery season starts).