Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Elk hunt almost turns to griz hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2011, 07:17 PM
Gold Member

Re: Elk hunt almost turns to griz hunt

Tomyoung, I watched that. They did show pepper spray to be more effective. I guess I would carry both because I am not leaving the side arm. I cant imagine a grizzly charge. WOW. I had a black bear bust in on me with a calf call but thats elementary to a grizz. We just laughed and kept going. Id be headed to the truck on a grizz.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

One standing joke around here, How can you tell grizz poop from black bear poop, it smells like peppers and has bells in it

Another one is to shoot the bear 5 times and save the last one for yourself, maybe not as funny

I've been looking at the Tuarus Judge, .410 slugs have some serious mind changing power, 12 guage slugs work real good I hear but I'm not to that point yet! I'm thinking about hunting an area that is littered with grizz and I'm thinking one of the little electric fences for camp at night might be a prudent investment.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 PM

MHO,

I mean this in fun........if you've got three seconds to act ......you don't have time to use both...........which one will it be...........then why carry two?

I carried a hand gun bow hunting elk in CO this fall. Saw five blacks, four of which had winded be and were running away when I saw them; the other only needed a whack on the brush from my walking stick to leave quickly.

I now plan to have spray (only) for my upcoming mule deer hunt in the Bridger Teton area. Outfitter says a charging grizzly boar had to be dispatched on a hunt this year..........says they figure the bear was starving and had moved that far south.

Tom