Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Elk hunt almost turns to griz hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Elk hunt almost turns to griz hunt

@ Parkerb14...

I don't bow hunt but I call elk for all my buddies who do. This year I carried a rifle because of all the bear and wolf encounters that have been reported locally. We have had lots of elk that have come in either silent or returned calls and bugles either really quiet or with just a whistle and no chuckle.

Glad you got out of the griz situation alive!

Jay
Old 10-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

I could spit 15 yards if I really had to. How in the world did your buddy NOT drop the hammer on a charging bear that got within 15 yards?? If the bear didn't turn you guys probably would have been a statistic. That's ugly.

Glad to hear that it all worked out. Surprised you didn't take up chess as a new hobby.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:34 PM
Platinum Member

Wow...glad you guys are OK.

Does it seem to some here that our Pittman-Robertson and other like taxes and our license fees are supporting predator population expansion just a little too much...?

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-14-2010, 04:28 PM
Platinum Member

So far this year on our side of the park we have three dead and several mangled from the overpopulation of park bears that have no fear of humans because they have not been hunted. Generations of park bears spreading out into the adjascent national forests with no fear of people and accustomed to getting free meals from campers who can not fight back.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Silver Member

Holly crap.
I have not been charged by them but have seen a couple up close and personal while guiding fisherman and I don't think I could have kept my cool that well. Lead would be flying.
Is there a season for them or are they under protection from our liberal friends?
What happens if you shoot one if caught?
We have a problem with lions in the area I hunt. The ranchers have problems with the sheep and cattle losses and the Cal DFG does nothing about it. A close friend last week was leaving on vacation with his family and they were walking out the door around 4 am and his daughter saw a big tom in the front yard. They smelled heavy cat smell so they called DFG and were told the cat sightings and troubles are not even tracked, there are too many. This happened in a residential area in a city of over 100 thousand people.
California has too many lions and no hunting season. When large predators are not hunted there are serious problems.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Wow, glad that turned out well for you. I took the family to Yellowstone earlier this year, spent some time in West Yellowstone. We saw 1 grizzly at about 300 yards and that was close enough for us. It was some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Gold Member

Agree, grizz can be a problem anytime one is hunting, hiking or fishing anywhere near Yellowstone.