Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Are Elk easy to kill?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 AM
Platinum Member

Are Elk easy to kill?

I have shot plenty of Red Stags which are a bit smaller than Elk and found them easy to kill. A .243 would do OK.

I have also shot plenty of Sambar deer which are between Red deer and Elk in size, and found them hard to kill. A 338 is a good choice.

I saw plenty of Elk while on a Mule deer hunt in New Mexico and was impressed by their size, but have always wondered, really, how tough are Elk to kill in comparison to other animals?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Are Elk easy to kill?

Easy? Tough? I'm staying away from that debate ... way too many factors, esp when "adrenaline" is involved. IMHO, shot placement and excellent bullet design, and staying within the hunter/equipment limitations are key factors ... and yes any of the .338s are excellent choices ... I use .200g NAB (.300WM) and .225g NAB (.338WM) in my pursuit.

Good luck and happy safe hunting.

V/R

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 06-26-2009 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Gold Member

Elk are tough as nails!
They have a very high will of survival.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

If they absolutely aren't hit in a "dead right there" area (ie. central nervous system), they can go for miles.

I saw a cow that was hit in a single lung and heart that went for 2 miles. I think the blood filled the area around the heart and it acted like a sump pump! The hit was with a 7mm Rem Mag from about 300yds. The only reason she stopped in 2 miles was that she was shot with the 7mm again behind the ear as she looked back to see who was following her! I'm sure that 1/2" further back on the heart and she would have went only 50yds or so.

Elk can die easily, but it's not the norm.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 06-22-2009, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

I have personally seen somewhere near thirty elk killed, with bows to 338's. Those that were hit well died immediately. Those hit marginally or poorly exhibited an astounding vitality.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

If you botch the first shot then they will take you for a death march but a good shot through both lungs or the heart and they usually tip after a few steps even with smaller calibers. The most sure thing is getting both lungs, I have actually had bad luck with high shoulder or spine on an elk I have seen two bang flops then come back to life. I have had whitetail does pack more than an elk from the same gun. What ever caliber that one can shoot well and will get through the chest will kill them as long as the caliber and bullet match the range.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
If they absolutely aren't hit in a "dead right there" area (ie. central nervous system), they can go for miles.

AJ
Iíve been hunting and shooting elk for a long time and AJís statement above is as real as it gets.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein