Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

elk decoys.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Bronze Member

elk decoys.

Elk hunting is coming up, do you guys use decoys?
What kind?
Have you seen Instant Elk decoys?
Old 02-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: elk decoys.

I've never heard of anyone using elk decoys, other than the Game and Fish to catch poachers.

Are you by chance the maker of this product?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Platinum Member

Theres a few on the market that can be used. Usually during archery when the elk are in rut. One to watch out for tho is a cow elk looking back. Having spent alot of time waching elk, Id avoid that particular decoy on account of the ''startled'' look. I call for some of my stick flingin buddies,and weve have had some success. however I do not have personal experience in the art of ''decoying'' elk tho it does look tempting, and the theory seems is sound.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Montana Decoy, that's all you need!! One cow elk butt and one cow elk side profile, get them back into the shadows in the timber and get down wind but between the bulls and the decoy and start giving those bulls a little whine estrus cow call, Bingo!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-24-2010, 05:40 AM
Platinum Member

Hey bigngreen, have you used both of those? The side profile looking back is the one I mentioned above. I can see the cow butt working, but Like I mentioned earlier, I have NO experience actualy using them

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

We put a hook in the top of them and hang the decoy from a tree limb. Too difficult to poke the steel legs into the ground. Tie a little weight to the bottom of the decoy to keep it from whipping around in the wind.

Steve
Old 02-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

We have used both at the same time, they work better if you get them back in the shadows or behind stuff and lightly concealed. We've had real good luck with the cow looking back, we use a lot of cow talk and it gives the illusion that she waiting for him or talking to an elk behind her. We set the shooter out in front of her and down wind from the decoy and I run back about 50 yrds behind her in the timber so it kinda looks and sound like she is the last one working into the timber and they come hard right past the shooter.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"