Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Elk cull hunt at Teddy Roosevelt park

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 PM

Elk cull hunt at Teddy Roosevelt park

Anyone know anything about the Park Service's elk cow reduction hunt at Teddy Roosevelt park. Anyone been on it? Heard you might have to pack out the meat, up to 75lbs at a pop. Anyone done that. Thanks.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:10 AM
Gold Member

Re: Elk cull hunt at Teddy Roosevelt park

I did not try but looked in to it before they started. This might help

ND Looking for Sharpshooters

http://www.nps.gov/thro/naturescienc...r-comments.htm

Last edited by T3-OleMan; 08-17-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:10 AM

Thanks, had seen these comments before, but wanted to also see some about the shooting at game, and etc. With like 200 people participating, (I gather 5 parties of 4 shooters, per week), had to be more folks with something to say. Haven't seen any comments on other site, forums, etc. Did see that they disqualified 13 or so shooters on the shooting part of the test to get to hunt..

Think it would be interesting..
Old 08-18-2011, 08:23 AM
Silver Member

I live in North Dakota and have several friends that were chosen last year to participate. They said it was a fun kill, not a hunt. The elk are radio collared, which means in the morning the Park Ranger and Game and Fish offical find the elk with the transmitting signal. They trek you up to the elk, and tell you which ones to shoot. There are 4 to a group.

This is a very demanding hunt. You must first go to the range and qualify to even go on the hunt. This can be very difficult with a 30 mph wind blowing. It is always wind here. If you qualify, the misconception is that ND is flat. This is far from the truth. In the western part of the state, the badlands make for the hardest and most grueling hunts that there are. To top that off, if you get chosen late in the year, you will be dealing with waist high snow.

Everyone that I know that have done this hunt/kill, said that it was very rewarding. They said they learned alot about themselves and ND. I know the drawing has been held already so this information is late, but I encurage you to try in next year.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

......and yes you have to pack out the meat yourself with the help of your group.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:29 AM

Thanks for the info, it's pretty helpful, as I hadn't seen any articles about it from others, anywhere. Did see some comments on it from some folks, but something like, it was hard work, doesn't tell you much
Old 08-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Gold Member

I and 2 of my sons will be going on this in mid Dec. You must sit through an orientaton, only 100% lead free bullets may be used, no muzzle breaks. Last year 200 shooters took something like 424 elk. You are actually applying to be a National Park Volunteer employee so you are there for the whole time and do whatever needs to be done within your group.