Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Elk Caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM

Elk Caliber?

Im looking to buy a gun to shoot out to 800? and maybe farther for weekend practice. I dont know if factory guns will fit the bill or a custom rifle would work better but as long as the ammo is readily availble at bass pro or cabelas. not 100% on caliber thinkin 7 mm but im new to the larger calibers and just want some advise for a tack driver
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Elk Caliber?

300WSM
300Win
300Wby
300RUM
338Win
338RUM
340Wby
What do you want to pay for over the counter ammo? 300WSM, &300Win, & 338Win are your most affordable bet.
How long of barrel life do you want? 338Win is longer barrel life of the above.
Is it for LR Elk only, or rarely Elk, & mostly LR Deer size game? Maybe a 300 would suit you better for its unmatched bullet selection for different critters?
Put a brake on any of the above, & recoil is a non issue.

I'm just not a fan of the 7mm in any form. Sorry.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-21-2012, 09:10 PM

My thoughts on it was a shade higher BC and a shade quicker which would slip through the wind a bit eaiser?? but i dont have the experience to know for sure about all the technical specs on long range sniping
Old 02-21-2012, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Maybe a 7mm fan will give you some factory #'s you can crunch on JBM Balistics calculator.

I'm not that guy. I roll my own, hot, to whatever my rifles like for accuracy.
I can tell you for sure that to reach the minimum recomended 1500 ft lbs for Elk at 800 with factory ammo, I'm goin with a 300, or a 338.
Interpreting numbers & statistics can prove confusing & tend to lean towards wichever side of an argument you want them to, depending how thier used. (x wt bullet with x b.c., at x speed at x yds has x ft lbs of energy).
But, What about sectional density, & momentum? Now, run the numbers, & see what happens..... The ol 7mm doesn't shine so bright in my book, compared to its rivals.
"The person with the most lugg nutts usually wins in a wreck"
Plus, when was the last time you had an Elk consistantly give you perfect broadside shots for extended periods of time durring hunting season? Some do, most don't. I want to fill my freezer, so, momentum plays a large part for me.

Some folks still think the 7mm hung the moon, & that's fine. I'm just not one of em'.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-21-2012, 09:59 PM
Bronze Member

Since you do not plan on reloading (which I recommend if at all possible) I would get a 308. Even if you do reload, it still may be the best overall choice. Cheap factory ammo (FGMM), moderate recoil, proven performance on game, good barrel life, and a boatload of rifles to choose from in factory or custom. (My personal preference is for Sako TRGs - robust, excellent trigger, slick action, reasonable weight, excellent reliability, and good resale if you ever decide to sale.) Since you are new to long range shooting you will need to shoot a considerable amount to get things figured out (and because it's plain fun!). This applies even if you have been shooting your whole life at shorter ranges (400 yards and less) and consider yourself a "good shot". However, do not buy a lightweight sporter model, get something with a little meat to it (rifle only 9-11 pounds), so that the recoil does not bother you.

Also factor in the cost of a good scope, anywhere from $300-$4000. A good entry level scope would be a SWFA SS 3-9 with the mil-quad reticle ($600). You will still need to factor in the cost of a good mount and rings ($100-$500), good rangefinder ($700-$2000), spotting scope ($400-several thousand), tripod, bipod, shooting mat, and if shooting on your own, good AR500 steel targets. You probably already have an Ipod touch or Iphone that works well as a ballistic calculator with inexpensive apps. If you have some shooting buddies they may have some or most of this so that you don't have to spend so much initially. Try to shoot with another person as much as possible. A spotter will help immensely and you will learn about reading the conditions while spotting for your buddy. I have almost as much fun watching my friends/family shoot as I do pulling the trigger myself.

Good luck! Part of the fun is doing the research and putting your rig together. If price is a big factor, go cheaper on the rifle, and buy more ammo for practice. I am going shooting with my buddy this weekend and can't wait!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:19 PM
Gold Member

For factory ammo & good terminal effect at 800 yds, 2 things you called for, I would go with 300WM, although the factory 300WSM is loaded to higher pressure, thus tit for tat.

If you load your own later & you will if you start shooting alot, the 300WM will have better performance with heavy bullets than the 300WSM if both are loaded to max.

338 cal. is great for beyond your 800limit especially.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomosendero View Post
For factory ammo & good terminal effect at 800 yds, 2 things you called for, I would go with 300WM, although the factory 300WSM is loaded to higher pressure, thus tit for tat.

If you load your own later & you will if you start shooting alot, the 300WM will have better performance with heavy bullets than the 300WSM if both are loaded to max.

338 cal. is great for beyond your 800limit especially.
DITTO - winmag had a good list, and I echo this post.I shot a far share of elk w/7mm, but there came a time where I was pushing it to far. A SakoTRG 42 IN A 300WN would fit the bill for you. They usually shoot 1/2 moa. You can get good factor ammo, they have adjustable stock and trigger. Haveseen them new on a group buy for 2250. I want a 338 lapua for a pratice rifle in trg.

Last edited by sp6x6; 02-21-2012 at 11:41 PM.