Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Drop camps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 AM
Gold Member

Re: Drop camps

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop401 View Post
I entertained a drop camp and after talking to a couple to folks that had been on dc hunts as well as outfits that offered such hunts I was out on the deal. I put the pencil to it and. realized I could outfit my own camp for less and have the equipment. for future hunts. both of the felas I spoke to who had been on these type hunts on different years and both said it was very little sign of elk and the campsite looked as if hundreds of hunters had stayed there since the grown was with out a sprig of grass anywhere. around the tent.
Yeah, the only issue with doing it on your own is trying to find horses/mules/etc to help pack everything in. If you do it on your own without them, it makes life a heck of a lot more difficult (can't pack in very much weight and you have to pack out everything, including any animal you shoot). And if you do have horses/mules, you have to spend time watering and feeding them. So there is something to be said for finding a guide who does it right, but that is the trick.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Gold Member

Here is a great read on doing a drop camp yourself and the work involved: Elk Hunting For The Layman - Part 2. Granted, they had success, but wow did they put in a lot of work for a couple of hours hunting!
Old 06-05-2013, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
Yeah, the only issue with doing it on your own is trying to find horses/mules/etc to help pack everything in. If you do it on your own without them, it makes life a heck of a lot more difficult (can't pack in very much weight and you have to pack out everything, including any animal you shoot). And if you do have horses/mules, you have to spend time watering and feeding them. So there is something to be said for finding a guide who does it right, but that is the trick.
I will be the first to tell ya your chances of killing a elk greatly increase with a good guide. With a drop camp if there is a lack of game your hung there. I have packed up and traveled some distance. to set base and try again . We base camp and spike camp as well depending on pressure and sign.