Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Drew a Wyoming General tag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Silver Member

Re: Drew a Wyoming General tag

I have only ever hunted with an outfitter one time, up in Montana, I went into the Absaroka Beartooth Wilderness area with Absaroka Beartooth Outfitters out of Big Timber Montana. We did a drop camp in there. It is only about 65 miles north as the crow flies from the area where we are hunting in Wyoming. The area in Wyoming is only a few miles south of the Yellowstone line, the area we went in Montana and did the drop camp is about 12-14 miles North of the Yellowstone line.

I shot an decent 6x6 bull on opening day on the early season rifle hunt up in Montana.

Cameron at Absaroka Beartooth Outfitters is GTG! Hell of a nice guy and a really good crew. They came in and pulled my bull out for me so me and my buddy could keep hunting. I ended up getting a small mulie in there too.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

Super nice pics!

I too am going out to Wyoming this October,.. got drawn as well in the General draw.

I'm headed to the Pinedale area with some friends of mine who are locals / residents of the state. Your pics brought back so many good memories of the mountain ranges out that way,... you guys had a great looking camp. Those reminded me of a camp we had up in Idaho a few years back. I love the atmosphere wall tents provide,.. and we had several in Idaho.

The last hunt outwest in Wyoming we got to do it in a luxury fashion that I wasn't accustomed to,.. my hunting bud purchased a nice travel trailer to hang our hats in,.. was different to say the least. I'm really looking forward to doing another horseback / pack in style hunt like I did back in the mid 90's in Montana,.. that was a blast !

Idaho

Idaho

Idaho

Wyoming

Wyoming

Wyoming

I can't wait for October to roll around,.. I've got a itchy trigger finger,.. lol!

Terry Webster

Life Member NRA
RMEF Sponsoring Member
SCI Member
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
Thunder Bay Steelheaders
US Army - SGT. 1970-72 1st/327th -101st AB
Viet-Nam Veteran
Old 03-23-2013, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Beautiful country! Yea, I am anxious to get back in the mountains. I grew up in Montana. Now that I live here in Vegas it makes me miss it even more! Good luck to you this fall!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Terry! I hear you about living it up in a trailer compared to a tent camp. I just sold my little popup camper and bought this like new inside and out 19' 1997 Fleetwood trailer for $3700. That little one was just too small for 8-11 weeks like I've been spending out there every Fall. You'll never guess where I picked it up---two blocks south off the main drag right in Custer!
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Drew a Wyoming General tag-trailer-003.jpg   Drew a Wyoming General tag-trailer-005.jpg  

Old 04-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Bronze Member

So WHAT ,... your right in the neighborhood and you couldn't call or stop on by ??? I could have given you the grand tour of my place and MY 30 ft 5th wheel.

Maybe the next time you stroll though the town,.. you've never been to my place since my move here,...

Terry Webster

Life Member NRA
RMEF Sponsoring Member
SCI Member
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
Thunder Bay Steelheaders
US Army - SGT. 1970-72 1st/327th -101st AB
Viet-Nam Veteran
Old 04-03-2013, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

It was a deal that all happened in less than 3 days in December while the days were real short. I was up there and headed back on a Sunday afternoon real quick to make sure I could get back here with it before dark in case the light system hookup wasn't compatible with my truck. As it turned out it was the proper hookup and everything went fine. I'll get up to see you one of these days when the weather warms and maybe we can even get out on the big lake and catch a few fish.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

My family lives in Custer too...small world!