DIY SOLO Idaho Archery Bull

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 11:19 PM

Re: DIY SOLO Idaho Archery Bull

sorry,entered twice.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Gold Member

Mike, Congrats. That's some "getting -er done". What was the Alt. on top of mt. and Alt at kill site? I hunt CO and have not Bow hunted since about 1999 but you can never have too much accurate Info. for pattering! Trying to relate it to my tops(10k > 11K) in CO for 2nd Rifle. I'm sure I will not hear any screams though. But if the snows don't come, they will be right there on top - just like in Archery. Great story.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:42 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks everyone! Sure feels good to get it done with a bow! Never forget that release and look in my sight picture...

I was lucky this year as they'd yet to close the gates so I was able to get a small dirtbike back in there to the road he was on! Wasn't nearly as much work as it could've been... Every day prior to that I was dropping and gaining about 1100-1500' elevation per morning or afternoon hunt. It was a pretty physical hunt but not as bad as some I've been on. Good thing about elk hunting in September, is while you're hunting all day, you're usually not busting ass all day or humping it to get to a certain spot before dark or first light. Atleast not in this thick timber. Lot of it is slow n steady still hunting or calling all day long which isn't too hard physically. I am in probably the best hiking shape I've been in for this year and I can tell that my climbing abilities are pretty great right now. Usually I'm only good for two days of hard hiking, even on day three I was rocking the hills! Going to come in handy now that my muley tag starts Oct 10 and we'll be hunting Hells Canyon area (unit 18), from the river... That makes this panhandle forests look like cake walk hunting...

Here's a few more pics of him caped out today! I'm getting him mounted by a good buddy of mine but he won't be able to take him for a few months. So until then I think I'll Euro him and put him on the wall to enjoy for a few weeks... ;)

Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 PM
Bronze Member

Got him all boiled and cleaned up! Still gotta do a final whitening on him though...

Mike