Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

DIY/ semi guided/fully guided

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: DIY/ semi guided/fully guided

I guide as well and Scott did a great job of explaining things in a simple manner. I have had hunters that ranged from Army scouts to 6ft 6 inch 350 lb Texas preachers who just had open heart surgery. Neither of us gets to chose the other but we can make the best of it if we decide to do so.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Re: DIY/ semi guided/fully guided

I don't guide anymore, but I could'nt explain things any better than Scott did. To get away from hunting pressure down in the San Juans, we always packed in by horseback into either the Wilderness or Primitive areas. As an outfitter I really didn't like to do drop camps unless clients insisted and we had an open area. Most people who don't actually live and work in the high country have absolutely no idea of how much the altitude and terrain beat you up. Even experienced horsemen who trailered their own mounts from Texas had no idea what a horse could and couldn't do in that environment, and their inexperience usually led to disappointment. There are many ways in which a hunt can be successful regardless of whether or not an animal is bagged.