DIY/ semi guided/fully guided

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: DIY/ semi guided/fully guided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyboy View Post
here's what you need to ask yourself.

If I go on this hunt and pay $1700, sleep in a warm heated wall tent, have 3 meals prepared for me each day, get game packed out, and am hunting good looking ground with elk potential, and not be surrounded by 4 wheelers, masses of other hunters, Will I be happy coming home with-out an elk?

if you answer is yes than call the outfitter and make him PROMISE you just that, that you will have all of the above conditions. He CAN NOT magically make elk appear but he is in 100% in control of all the above. I would suspect for $1700 he is horse packing you in a good distance from the trails, where most hunters will not walk in and out on a day hunt.

This notion about moving camp if there are no elk in your area after a couple days???
get that out of your head it's not going to happen. Some of my best DIY hunts were down right crappy for 5 days then like magic a pile of elk showed up and we killed 3 bulls in 3 days with 4 hunters. So it is more about never quit then getting discouraged.
+1 very sound advice.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Silver Member

He is supplying a cabin accessible by auto and giving advice on where to hunt. Getting away from people is up to us. The more I look at this the more I feel I should return to where I was last year and spike camp forther in to save the daily trips in and out and avoid the people.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

it's $1700 per guy?? your getting raped.

we rented a 4 br cabin with 2 baths and a kitchen 4 years ago. drive to it and hunt out the front yard with some walking. But it was $1600 for the week so split 4 ways it was a hell of a deal. the owner stopped by every day with a load of fire-wood and asked if we needed anything. i seen more elk sign on that trip but it was all old like 2 weeks old. The guys on first season shot 5 bulls with 6 guys. we managed a couple deer. But thats elk hunting. i would do that trip again in a heart beat, nothing like a warm bed.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Gold Member

Jim, My buddy and I did the same thing year before last in Wy. Stayed at a great Motel actuall you could call it a cabin I guess 2 bedroms full kitchen,living room full bath central heat and air for $450.00 a piece granted we drove 25 miles each way every day and did a 2hr. hike in the dark but we passed on several deer saw 3 very large Bull elk no tags and 13 Moose 8bulls and 5cows. The hot shower, and warm bed every night made it all worth while and it was in the very same area Lens group is going this year. Guess where we are going.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

I would certainly have to agree with that statement by Coyboy, LOL! Legalized rape is about what you would call that price for a cabin and some food if that's per person! No way Jose!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Does the private land with the cabin get you access to otherwise unaccessable public land ? If it gave you access to some landlocked public that nobody else could get to it may be a reasonable deal.
But if all you get is room and board and you're still competeing with the crowd then its a terrible deal.

Life is short, Hunt hard while you can.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:02 AM
Silver Member

Well fellas there was no mention of access to normally inaccessable land . And after reading your thoughts on the this opportunity "Im out "