Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Deciding tween 30-06 and 7mm Rem mag!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 03:50 AM

Deciding tween 30-06 and 7mm Rem mag!

Hey fellas my first post here and first off I just want to say that this is a GREAT website and forum for shooting. I have picked up LOTS of great information here. I was born and raised in Iowa, where centerfire rifles are not allowed for deer hunting. So I have hunted some with shotgun slugs but mostly the last 8 years or so with .50 cal muzzleloader and have shot quite a few deer ranging from 30 yards all the way out to 248 yards is my furthest shot/kill. I wont say that I am a dead eye by any means but I can also say that I have hit and killed just about everything that I have shot at. I have moved to Overland Park, KS and joined a gun range and have been shooting quite a bit with a 17 HMR and my 22-250 for practice. Anyways I have been deer hunting here in Kansas mainly with my muzzleloader but I have also been inivted to go on Antlelope hunts in other states as well as I have been accumulating points for mule deer and elk. My current set up is a T/C encore endeavour, which I LOVE, shooting black horn 209 and barnes 250grain Spit fire T-EZ. This setup kicks pretty good but I can handle it just fine so just for a reference when I ask on calibers.

I am wanting to get a centerfire gun and thinking about just getting an Encore barrel for my encore but have read some iffy information on the accuracy of them. I just love the stock and grip on that Endeavour and would like to continue using that plus cost factor as well.

So, after LOTS and I mean LOTS of research I think I have narrowed it down to 30-06 and 7mm rem Mag. I want one barrel or gun, if I choose to buy another rifle, that I can use for deer, elk, antelope. I will not, and I mean I will not shoot at anything over 500 yards. That is a self imposed rule I have on myself since I like to hunt and get in close. I am a Bow and muzzy hunter at heart so getting in close is my blood. I think I am leaning more towards the 7mm rem Mag due to the flat shooting and great ft/lbs of energy one can get with 145/150 grain bullets like the Barnes TTSX/LRX. If I can get good enough goopings I would like to continue using the Barnes as I have been nothing but impressed with there performance on both paper and deer out of my muzzy but I will shoot and hunt with whatever gives my best accuracy. I am torn because I have read lots where if shooting at 500yards or closer the 30-06 is plenty. But I just dont know if I am that hip on the .30 cal bullet for antelope and the 7mm rem Mag would pack a good punch for both distance and energy especially at the 500 yard mark if need be.

So fellas whats your advice. #1. Encore barrel or seperate gun? Would the encore barrel be good enough for 500 yard and in shooting? #2. 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag? I do reload and plan on reloading for either of these cartridges. I am not weathly but I do have some money to put into these systems like a good scope, ect. Please I would like to hear what anyone has to say. Thanks
Old 03-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: Deciding tween 30-06 and 7mm Rem mag!

I've put a few elk down with the 30/06. It really dose a wonderful job. I've seen elk shot with a 7mm mag, and they were also very dead. The 7mm will give you a flatter trajectory. And it will most likely hold its energy a little better at longer ranges. I have personally found the recoil between the two to be similar. I would not hesitate to take my 30/06 on an elk hunt again. In fact I'm currently planning a trip to Wyoming, and planning on using it. But I have a 30/06 and not a 7mm. If I were going to start over from scratch, and wanting an elk rifle, I would lean towards the 7mm. But it really comes down to personal preference. When I have thoughts like this I like to remind myself that bow hunters kill them all the time, and I have killed more elk with a bow than a rifle. I would hate to imagine how many elk the 30/06 cartridge has claimed. An encore will work fine for you.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:36 PM

Thanks johnny!
Old 03-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

I figured I would throw this out there before someone else did. Since your a handloader, have you ever thought about meeting both cartridges in the middle and going with a 280 rem? 30/06 case with a 7mm bullet.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:10 PM

Have you compared ammo prices?
How much do you shoot?

I have a 30.06 and one of the reasons for going that route was the price and availability of ammo and components.
I recently picked up 500 pieces of once fired brass real cheap and clean.
If you do a lot of shooting it will get expensive with a 7mm.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

Either works. I've shot a fair amount of antelope with a 30-06. I would decide depending on which bullet you wish to shoot. 180 and under 7mm, from there up the thirties start coming into their own.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:45 PM

I am really hoping to the 145gr. Barnes LRX will group well cause I really think that would be the bestmiddle gground for deer , lope and elk. Some pretty impressive numbers with that 145 grain LRX with 7mm RM velocities. And with the near 100% weight retention of the Barnes I would feel very comfortable using it at 500 yards for all 3 animals if the shot needed to be taken. I don't know if I would say that I would shoot it a lot. Mostly to work up the right load(s) and than to just practice with it til I felt very comfotbale with the set up. I would mainly practice with the 22-250 and 17HMR to get trigger time in. Like I said I am not a big rifle guy. Mostly a bird hunter and bow and muzzy guy