Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Danner Pronghorns - How much insulation ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Silver Member

Danner Pronghorns - How much insulation ?

To the guys wearing Danner Pronghorns, how much insulation ? I am contemplating purchasing a pair of Danner Pronghorns for elk hunting. Just found out that they come in 3 or 4 insulation levels, 400gr, 800gr, 1200gram. Which to choose ?

My primary objective is Colorado Second Rifle season. I average 5 to 6 miles per day, 500 to 1,000 verticle feet, 30 to 35 lb Eberlestock pack (including rifle). The past two years have started out 50* to 60*F and dry the week before, and, ended up 20* to 25* F with 8" to 18" of snow on the ground when we pull out. On hunt days, I typically "hike" in to get somewhere, sit for 2 to 3 hours, still hunt for a couple hours, sit for an hour or 2 until dark, and then "hike" back out.

MY initial inclination was to go with the 800gr or 1200gram, (I hate cold feet). But, I do not want to waste money on a pair of boots where too much insulation decreases the "hike-ability" of the boot.

Your thoughts ?
Old 01-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Danner Pronghorns - How much insulation ?

I am on my third pair of Pronghorns now.
My first pair were 400's. Because I sweat so much, my feet would be wringing wet and then they would get cold.
My last 2 pair are uninsulated. I just put on a good pair of wool socks and I'm good to go.
I deliver coffee for a living and today I was jumping out of the truck into snow slush puddles at least 6-8 in deep and never got cold feet.

During my hunts, I like that my feet don't get too hot during my hikes. It takes away from my focus on the stalk.

Randy
Old 01-19-2012, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

You also might consider taking a good look at the Danner Raptor as a great all around big game hunting boot. It's US made instead of made in China and will last longer with better materials and construction and can be rebuilt for a nominal fee. My brother recently found a pair for 40% off at $180 at a local Wholesale Sports. Good luck!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 01-19-2012, 10:52 PM
Silver Member

I have the 400gr and try to only wear them at or below freezing, the rest of the time I wear uninsalated boots
Old 01-20-2012, 12:10 AM
Silver Member

Spend another hundred and get one of the US made Danners, they are much better. They will outlive several pairs of of the imported ones and are way cheaper in the long run. I've got a new pair of Canadiens now and had a pair of Trophys before that. They were ready to hunt right out of the box. They are both 600gr thinsulate. I've worn mine in the mid 70's down below zero and nothing breathes like leather, which keeps you dry. I never even think about my feet until I get home from a hunt and take them off. The imported ones won't breathe like a leather boot. Try a pair of the U.S. made ones on and compare. My Danner Canadiens are the most comfortable shoes of any kind I own, and probably will be for the next 10-15 years.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

I have had 3 pair of the pronghorns with the last pair having 400 grams of ins. I agree with the other post, skip the ins and go with a good pair of wool socks. Like you, I hike a bunch and do not like the extra bulk, but that's me, I like to hunt in lite boots.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

I have a 400 gram pair and they will work great for the weather you're talking about.