Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Dad Puts Elk Down!!! WITH VIDEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Dad Puts Elk Down!!! WITH VIDEO

joecool,

many congrats to your dad! He's the man!

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
h the wife needs to work on her recording skills.
If you weren't such a wimpy, whining kind of guy you would have carried along a 20 pound tripod for her to put the camera on.

Very nice nice video and story.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Dad Puts Elk Down!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
that correct!!! a little more than a edge Imp.
JC, Would you mind posting pics of the 338 UltraMaxx with 300SMK loaded? Perhaps next to a 300RUM or 7mmRUM case if you have it?

I'm assuming you neck up 300RUM cases and then fireform, is that correct? Is this Kirby's creation?

What is your OAL with the 300SMK boatail/body junction at the neck/shoulder junction?

What is your ff load? A guess at your max load?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm contemplating a 338 'something' at the moment and although I now recall hearing something about this chambering sometime ago, I did not recall all the details.

Thank you!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
If you weren't such a wimpy, whining kind of guy you would have carried along a 20 pound tripod for her to put the camera on.

Very nice nice video and story.
I was tired!!! No really that video was a spur of the moment kind of deal it was taken with a camera.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
JC, Would you mind posting pics of the 338 UltraMaxx with 300SMK loaded? Perhaps next to a 300RUM or 7mmRUM case if you have it?

I'm assuming you neck up 300RUM cases and then fireform, is that correct? Is this Kirby's creation?

What is your OAL with the 300SMK boatail/body junction at the neck/shoulder junction?

What is your ff load? A guess at your max load?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm contemplating a 338 'something' at the moment and although I now recall hearing something about this chambering sometime ago, I did not recall all the details.

Thank you!
Yes Iím necking up 300 brass to .338 but I think it would be better to neck down 375 RUM brass that way I wouldnít have to seat the bullet hard into the lands.

Well itís no secrete that Kirby designed the .270 Allen and since Kirby always gets the max ability out of any of his cases, thatís why I came up with the name UltraMaxx. Kirby and I talked about several .338s and I decided I would just like to use his 270 dimensions with a .338 neck.

OAL length is still up in the air as this thing has only been shot 22 times, and that includes the barrel brake in with gun juice. So I have a lot of load development ahead of me. Right now my fire-forming load is 93gr of Reloader-25

Itís shooting really well at 500 yards at about Ĺ MOA thatís why I let my dad use it.

The reason for going with a rifle built for the RUM case instead of the Lapua case is availability. I already have the .338 AM and cases tried up on them for a while. Than I have my 270 AM, know I hear my 169.5 and 195 wildcat bullets for it might be no more. So I figured the .338 UltraMaxx would best for me. I can get RUM brass and the 300 SMK anytime I need it.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

[quote=joecool;242203]Yes Iím necking up 300 brass to .338 but I think it would be better to neck down 375 RUM brass that way I wouldnít have to seat the bullet hard into the lands.

JC,

You'll have to explain to this simple handloader why using a 375RUM case is better than necking up a 300RUM. Either way, you'd still want to seat the bullet into the lands a bid for fireforming, right?

Does Kirby had reamer and dies for this? What are the dimensions of the 270AM? What I'm getting at is how much is the case capacity increased over a standard 300RUM case, or to put it another way, how much increase over the 338EDGE?

Thanks again!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-24-2008, 03:08 PM
Silver Member

Kirby does have the reamer I bought half of it and Kirby got to keep its my understanding I can use it if I need itÖ Donít believe he has dies for it. Iím pretty sure Iím the only that has them.

Necking up brass from the 300 ultra doesnít leave any shoulder or crush for head spacingÖitís not bad but itís there I have fond that leaving the bullet way out and closing the bolt works best. If I was using 375 RUM brass I could just leave a false shoulder to seat off of.

On your last ? Havenít got to that point yetÖ very early in case forming really no testing done at this point. I received the rifle just before elk season had little to no time to work with it, couldnít be doing a bunch of shooting where you are going to hunt.