Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Cow Elk - Nine Mile Range Creek, Utah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 08:34 PM

Re: Cow Elk - Nine Mile Range Creek, Utah

Thank you for the Information. Probably the biggest question i have is..... Can this place be very dangerous during the winter times and if so, what would be recommended to take with me on this trip. This may sound dumb, but i want to be as prepared as possible.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:27 PM

I have an Antler-less Hunting License for January 1st through the 31st.At the nine mile range creek. I have never been Hunting around here. I do i find out what is private and what is public land ? And where is a good location to set up in this area. I don't know how to Elk hunt and was wondering if i have to keep moving or just find a location and just stay there and camp out for a week ? I could use all the help that I can get, and if anyone else is going at this time and place, if you would be willing to show me how it is done. I'm 52 years old and i think that i could handle a little of this. Not sure though. But I know that I would have a blast at just trying.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

Work the canyons off of Nine Mile Road and the Plateaus. There was allot of gas line construction work being done last year. Four wheel drive is critical whether it rains or snows. The soil is clay like and slick. Chain up all four tires if it snows. Drive up on the various plateau they cover extensive areas with significant areas for elk to roam. I found heavy signs of elk movement all over the place. Have a farmers jack (HiLIFT) and recovery straps as well as a 2000 lb come a long. We had 700 yds of 1/2 rope and used every bit of it to drag our elk down to in a canyon bottom with a 4x4 trail where we were able to drive my truck into.

Concentrate on up/down hill shots. The elk we shot last year went up a steep stair stepped side hill. We made sight adjustments for the angle and held POA/POI making clean hits and single shot kills.

*Read my earlier post* It's big country, but don't get discouraged. Elk move allot, find fresh sign and mark it on your map. Determine the direction their traveling and find vantage points on the map that you can go to to intercept them.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS
Old 10-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Thank You very much for the Information. I will take this trip with all the gear possible.
Thanks again,

Rick
Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Silver Member

A good friend of mine was able to buy a leftover cow elk tag for Price Gordon Creek. We've hunted Gordon Creek in the past successfully. So depending on the time frame I may go out with him and help him out. If this does happen I'll let you know when he plans on being there.

I'm leaving home the 24th of October for Gunnison, Colorado where I'll meet up with my brother who's driving up from Texas. We'll be hunting the Alpine Plateau south of Cimirron.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:16 PM

Hey...
Hunted the avintaquin unit last year... muzzle loader... had a spike and cow tag... got the spike... could have gotten a cow but didn't...
Tent camped at 9300 feet... to cold for an old guy... hence the diesel rig...though it was fun...
So... to the point...
Cow and Bull tag for rifle season this year... nine mile range creek...
Want to find someplace to park a Diesel pusher and Jeep... near or in the unit... its an old rig and I don't mind getting dirty... thinking about the campground... but it'll be a long trip to nine mile hunting grounds... Would be nice to have some fly fishing somewhat nearby also...
Any suggestions??? Thoughts??? Tips???
From what I can tell... public land on some of the North side... Private on the south east???
Thanks for any input...
Airacer (dis. vet.)
P.S. don't live nearby
Old 08-20-2013, 10:03 AM

i am hunting this unit in jan for cow. this is only my 3rd year hunting and i am not above asking for help if anyone is hunting the late hunt and needs a buddy i have no problem pulling my weight and some.
I just really wanna put the smack down on one this year, it would be my first big game.