Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Cow Elk - Nine Mile Range Creek, Utah

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

Cow Elk - Nine Mile Range Creek, Utah

My brother and I drew cow elk tags for "Nine Mile Range Creek" Carbon/Springville area in Central Utah. I know the majority of the unit is private property. With this in mind there are parcels of BLM and State holdings. Additional research shows that the DOW has purchased and exchanged large parcels for hunting access.

Has anyone ever hunted in this region? If so, can you provide some insight.

My brother and I are both 100% Disabled Veterans. This said we do put 200% into scouting and locating game. We shoot a considerable amount and are confident in our hunting abilities.

I've hunted the Gordon Creek unit west of Price several times with great success. But this year we didn't draw our first 2 choices. Nine Mile was a leftover option. The season is from Nov 23 - Dec 31, 2011. This does permit time for scouting before the season. I'll be in the region sometime in late August.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS
Old 08-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Cow Elk - Nine Mile Range Creek, Utah

gonzok34 I live very near this unit I will have to check the boundries but you shouldnt have any trouble finding elk once you get weather, would be happy to help
Old 08-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

270winshort,
I appreciate your offer and look forward to meeting you. I plan on getting out there to scout before the season. Just tying loose ends around here.

Thank You
Gonzo

www.gonzok34@sbcglobal.net
Old 12-14-2011, 10:23 PM
Silver Member

270Winshort,
We located a site to set up our camp off of the 191 near the Dodge Plant east of Helper. After hunting 3 hard days we narrowed our efforts to Cold Canyon, Harmon Plateau and Dry Canyon. The 4th day we covered allot of country and than headed into dry Canyon around 3:30 pm. About a mile into the canyon we jumped 30+ head of elk. They ran up a steep escarpment and were trapped on a ledge at 200 yards. I shot a big cow, and than spotted for my brother, who also shot a nice cow.
We attempted to gain access to the West Ridge from Whitmore Canyon and discovered that the gate to West Ridge was locked and a road that branched off to the right which entered a CWMU. No permits, so we moved on.

Thanks for your help. It's greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Cow Elk - Nine Mile Range Creek, Utah-tony-bobby.jpg  
Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

great job guys, way to put the smack down on em, looks like you had a great time, congrats
Old 07-25-2012, 10:18 PM

I am new to Utah and have been here for 5 years now and i purchased a antler less elk permit for the nine mile range creek area also and i will need all the help that i can get. I am 52 years old and not as young as i would like to be but that being said, If any one is going to hunt this area between January 1st through January 31st and is willing to help me , please let me know.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 07-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Rick,
We hunted the entire northern section from the west boundary to the eastern. Also worked the South end from Price to East Caron into Horse Canyon and into Turtle Canyon. This said, I strongly suggest the following areas:
All accessible from Wellington which is east of Price. Take Soldier Canyon Rd, which become's Nine Mile Road.

HARMON CANYON
This is a long narrow road winding up canyon up onto the Plateau. Follow this road to the summit. Take the first 4x4 trail to the right with a south west heading. The road follows the north west facing slope along the right away easement of the underground pipeline. It will curve around and with in a mile or so it will fork. You can go in either direction. We discovered extensive elk movement and active in this location. However, the snow was too deep for us to follow in my 4x4. Depending on how the weather you maybe able to hunt this. If it's too deep. Backtrack back to the main road an follow it to the southeast. It opens up into a large area. Follow it to the south for a couple of miles until you come to a road heading west. You will now be hunting the backside of the Mountain. This area has allot of fingers and canyons running off the main mountaintop. Lots of elk movement here also.

DRY CANYON
After Harmon Canyon continue east on Nine Mile Road to the Conversion plant located on the east side of Nine Mile. The sign will indicate that it is "Private Access". HOWEVER, there is an "Easement Right A Way" that goes along the left side of the Plant which lead's into Dry Canyon. This is essentially a box canyon. It's a 4x4 trail that travels for a great distance in the bottom of the canyon. There is running water and lots of draws that lead up the sides. There are terraced escarpments/Vertical bluffs which prevent game from readily escaping without traversing those bluffs. Therefore very few escape routes.
This is where we killed our elk. Note: I did LIMITED scouting into this canyon in the morning. Choosing to enter it around 3:00 PM. Reason being that elk wound move into the canyon bottom for water and grazing during the evening and thru the night.

COLD SPRING DRAW
This was a highly recommended area by friends who've had great success hunting quality bulls. We just never had to explore it after taking our Elk.

Good Luck,
Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS