Hey guys, thank you for inquiring on the Vermejo Ranch cow elk hunt.
1. We usually book the Quality Inn Raton NM, it's a great hotel with
complimentary breakfast & reasonable rates. There are other hotels,
just check online in Raton.
2. As far as eating, there is not much to choose from, however, we
frequent the Sands Restaurant, good beer, great food. Otherwise there
is fast food, etc and a K Bobs.
3. The hunt we are booking, which we've been on several years, is hunt
#5 on the pdf. The dates are January 3-6. If it takes you longer than three
days to bust an elk, my wife said you shouldn't be hunting anyways...haha.
4. There is an early bird special. If you book before July 1, 2012, they are
$500. Otherwise $550-600 depending on when your deposit gets paid. All
other details are on the pdf attached.
I do not work for the ranch, I have hunted there numerous times and this is
a great opportunity on one of the most awesome ranches in the country. All
checks will be made to the ranch.
Vermejo Park Ranch
Cow Elk Hunt Information 2012-2013
Book before July 31st and only pay $500.00/tag
Book between July 31st and Oct. 1st and only pay $550.00/tag
Hunt dates will fill up and become unavailable as paid hunter reservations are made. To help secure your preferred dates and save money, book as early as possible.
- $600.00 (After 10-1-12) non-guided three day cow elk hunt.
Guided hunts are $300.00 additional per day (gratuity not included).
- When you hire a guide the first half day (after orientation) is no charge.
- Guide fee includes guide and truck.
- There is a maximum of three hunters per guide.
- Guides are limited and must be scheduled with initial payment.
- Hire a guide for the first day to gain knowledge of your hunting unit!!
- Due to the time of year, there will be limited guides available for Hunt #4.
- Hunt #1_____November, 27th to 30th
- Hunt #2_____December, 13th to 16th
- Hunt #3_____December, 20th to 23rd
- Hunt #4_____December, 27th to 30th
- Hunt #5_____January, 3rd to 6th
- Hunt #6_____January, 10th to 13th
- Hunt #7_____January, 17th to 20th
- Hunt #8_____January, 24th to 27th
**Hunt dates and guides are only secured with full payment to: Vermejo Park Ranch
Vermejo Park Ranch
Attn: Cow Elk Hunts
P.O. Drawer E
Raton, NM 87740
Once you have received this letter, and have made contact with the cow elk hunt coordinator, please send payment to the above address and your reservation will be locked in place. License request forms
with authorization numbers will be mailed/e-mailed upon receipt of payment and confirmation of hunt dates. Once the hunter receives the form he/she will fill out the license application and mail it, or take it, to a New Mexico Department of Game & Fish office with the proper amount in order to purchase the hunting license. Be advised that NMGF offices may be closed on Monday and/or Friday due to state furloughs and holidays.
All hunters are required to attend an on ranch orientation at 12pm on the first day listed in the hunt dates column. There will be no access onto Vermejo until the time of orientation.
Hunters are allowed to hunt after orientation. Be sure to get your license dated accordingly. Hunt unit assignments and access will be given to the hunter from the game barn upon arrival for orientation. During orientation all members of the party must sign a liability waiver. There will also be a short seminar about the cow hunt operations and the proper procedure of collecting cow elk samples.
We are collecting field-dressed weights along with several biological samples on the cows harvested this year. Biological sample packets with instructions will be handed out during orientation. All harvested cows need to be weighed before leaving the Ranch.
The Game Barn will only operate as a weigh station and drop-point for cow elk sample packets. Arrangements for processing and storage should be made elsewhere.
Local meat processors:
Cummings Custom Processing (575) 445-8513 (Raton)
H&H Meat Processing (575) 483-0018 (Springer)
Youth and family participation is encouraged. However, please limit non-hunters to a maximum of two per hunter.
**Lodging and meals are NOT available at Vermejo Park Ranch during these hunts**
- Holiday Inn Express (575) 445-1500
- NRA Whittington Center (575) 445-3615
- For additional accommodation options, contact the Raton Chamber of Commerce at (575) 445-3689.
There are restaurants in Raton and the surrounding area. However, we suggest you pack your meals due to the remoteness of the Vermejo Park Ranch (Ranch).
The main gate for the Ranch is approximately 35 miles west of Raton on NM Highway 555. Highway 555 intersects Second Street at the south end of Raton. Entry to the Ranch will be restricted to our main gate. Headquarters (HQ) is located 4.1 miles west of the main gate. Entry time is 12:00 noon on the first day of the hunt. All hunters are required
to check in and out at the Game Barn daily.
Most cellular phone service is not reliable on Vermejo Park Ranch. However, at HQ and a few other areas on the Ranch, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Plateau services work, while Verizon does not.
Four-wheel drive trucks are recommended. No ATVs
. To help prepare for your hunt you may want to consider bringing: tire chains, rope, tarp, come-along, ramp and a dead-sled for retrieval. No pets, alcohol or drugs, please. We recommend using our shooting range to sight in your rifle prior to the hunt. We request that all hunters choose their targets carefully with respect to human safety and anatomical shot-placement on the animal. No herd shooting