Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Cow elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Silver Member

Cow elk

I didn't book a bull hunt this year, I wished I could have. However I am thinking of cow elk hunt or maybe a maet bison. Any thoughts. Out fitted or drop camp for either would be fine. Thank you
Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

Re: Cow elk

I'm a meat hunter, so you're speaking my language. If you haven't heard of the Bison ranch in ND, that might be something to look at. The web addy is bisonranch.com or it might be thebisonranch.com. Either way, I have been there, and the people as well as amenities are great.

Wish I was going after a cow elk this year, but it aint happening. Maybe next year..
Old 08-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

i was able to get a cow tag for co this fall. unit im hunting bull is over the counter so i have a chance at both. never shot an elk before now hoping to have some fun with my new edge.
mike
Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Silver Member

cow elk is great! especially a young one. No comparison at all to an old bull.
IN "05 went on a packin hunt in the Bob Marshall. Was hunting Thanksgiving week and either sex was legal. Past on a couple of small bulls early and on the last day took a young cow and was very happy. The only other time that I had a cow tag was in Colo. and I hunted hard several days and never could get a shot but thats real life huntin!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

What do you look for to tell the cow is young?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
What do you look for to tell the cow is young?
spots..

Sorry .. I could not resist.

Seriously, Size is the easiest way. A 1 1/2 year old will be smaller than the adult cows.

Jeff
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
spots..

Sorry .. I could not resist.

Seriously, Size is the easiest way. A 1 1/2 year old will be smaller than the adult cows.

Jeff

That caught me by surprise

Seriously though if you want young cow look for the slick, light colored cow that looks proportionate in body vs neck. These are the cows I never shoot, they are the good breeders and will do well in winter and have a few calve to have. I go for the big, dark, raggedy cows with the big toe heads, if they don't have a calf the get dead. You can not beat eating an older dry cow, dry cow elk roast will put anything to shame!!! Fortunately I got a bull and cow tag burning a hole in my pocket this year

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"