Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Considering a Sako A7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Considering a Sako A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguru View Post
FEENIX, if you saw me, you wouldn't say that.

I'm a guy that is in the gym 4 days a week hitting the free weights and mountain bike twice a week every weekend the weather is nice so being in shape isn't my problem.

The other reason for the interest in the Sako aside from the weight is the removable magazine.

We quad in to a point where you walk the rest of the way in and you have to have your gun unloaded on the quads in CO and its a real hassle if you see something while driving where if you needed to get a quick shot out there having to manually load through the bolt on the Remington; and then of course having to unload it manually as well when you leave. A drop mag would be quicker and nicer.

I'm sure I could make due with what I had but there are some good deals out there right now on guns due to the economy and I'm looking for something new as well.
Glad to hear that you are in good/great shape ... that's why I said get into "better" shape . I too spend 4 times a week at the gym (30-45 of mins cardio and 30 mins of weights).

Sounds like shaving the weight off a rifle is "not" the issue. I'm a big SAKO fan (mine is M995 in .300 WM) ... go for it and enjoy!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 04-08-2010 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Silver Member

A good padded elastic sling makes all the difference as well. Takes the impact out of it.

We all justify buying a new gun for one reason or other....

I say you buy two.

How bout a lightweight Sako 300WSM, you can share bullets with your big brother.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airgunner7 View Post
A good padded elastic sling makes all the difference as well. Takes the impact out of it.

We all justify buying a new gun for one reason or other....

I say you buy two.

How bout a lightweight Sako 300WSM, you can share bullets with your big brother.
Yeah I have a nice Butler Creek neoprene sling that works great. That gun still gets heavy when you are hiking for 8 hours though.

Part of the reason I initially was considering the 300 WSM was for the very reason that I could share bullets though.

Incidentally, I use 200 grain Nosler Accubonds in my 300 RUM rounds and what I have read, they are recommending nothing bigger than 180 grain rounds in the 300 WSMs so that might not be an advantage for me.

Unfortunately I will have to go with different powder on that one as the Retumbo powder I reload my 300 RUM with isn't the best choice on the 300 WSM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

Take a look at the Tikka T3 in 7mmRM. Put a Limbsaver pad on it and maybe a Dednutz base/ring w/ your Conquest and your good to go.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

Either the Sako T3-Lite or a Browning A-Bolt II will fit the bill. Both are light weight and come in many popular calibers. If the removable clip is important, then you should also look at the Browning X-bolt. Both Sako and Browning are known for their light weight rigs that come with good out-of-the-box accuracy. Choose the one that fits/shoulders the best. Let us know which way you went.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

The recoil pad in the T3 is not very soft, when shooting larger calibers. So you will want to change them. I do have 2 T3's in .243, that are very pleasant to carry and shoot. One will be my son's first deer rifle.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member

Feenix, I packed 12 pound custom long range elk rifles into most national forests in the west for over 30 years. If I could see an elk I could kill it. Ran cross country all my adult life and stay in top shape. Not far from 60 now and can still out walk 90+% of elk hunters. Problem is being in good shape doesn't really matter as you get older. Carrying the heavy gun all day just wears a guy down as he gets older. I had no problem hauling a rem 700 338 rum last year up and down mountains. Had to carry it because the 12 pound 338-378 just got to heavy for an older guy. This year I have Tikka t3 lights in 300 wsm, 300 win mag and 338 win mag that weigh just over 7 pounds scoped out. Now I am 600-700 yards with my hunting but I figure that gives me maybe 10 more years of hard backpacking. Still in great shape but just don't have the energy as you get older and wear down much easier.

I think it is called stamina but I can understand the light rifle idea for newguru. I would suggest the tikka t3 for anyone wanting to lighten there load a bit. Scoped out at 7 1/4 pounds and kill elk at 700 yards is a good idea depending on your age and abilities. The stainless is $549 at cabelas right now. I got a display/demo stainless model 300 win mag last week for $450. They are very nice accurate rifles for the money.

By the way, lifting weights has nothing to do with getting in shape for elk hunting and bicycling does little but helps. Get outside and walk or run a lot up and down hills so you are working the muscles you need to work. Just a word to the wise because I have guided way to many gym freaks who flat out could not make it in elk camp and were not capable of the hunt. Just like Feenix I am not trying to hurt anyones feelings, just telling it like it is to help guys enjoy the outdoors.

Last edited by Long Time Long Ranger; 05-13-2010 at 02:14 PM.