Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Considering a Sako A7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 10:59 PM

Considering a Sako A7

Thinking about getting something lighter this season for a Colorado elk hunt.

I currently use a Remington 700 Sendero II in 300 RUM.

Its a great shooting gun but is hella heavy for packing up and down the sides of mountains.

I'm considering getting myself a Sako A7 Stainless in either 7mm Magnum or 300 WSM.

I currently have a Zeiss Conquest with the Rapid Z 800 scope so I will likely just use the same scope on the new gun.

This should drop a good amount of weight and make for better packing on foot for long hikes.

Thoughts?
Old 04-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Gold Member

Re: Considering a Sako A7

The 300 RUM is a beautiful caliber and as you know will put an elk down without hesitation. You defiantly dont need a new gun, but you have a pretty good excuse to get one, haha. Anyways the reason im answering your question i own both rifles a Rem 700 7mm rem mag and a Browning a-bolt 300. wsm. I was shooting a 160 grain accubonds in my 7mm for big game such as moose, caribou and black bear and i wanted an excuse to get a new rifle so i down sized to 140 grain and bought a 300 for big game. I do not regret it at all. The 300. wsm with a light gun like the A-Bolt or Sako A7 will have a decent amount of recoil but will still have less recoil then the 300 win mag but identical performance. My vote is the 300. wsm
Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

I hunt Elk with a friend and we both use Sako 270's, mine is old and his is a very light SS T3
He harvested a bull last year and the bullet went clean through and never recovered. One shot kill, It was a 140G Hornady Light mag.

Buy the gun you like to carry. Don't worry about caliber, shot placement and bullet selection are far more importaint.

.257 Roberts has worked for my brother in-law, with 2 elk so far.

I vote for a 7mm A7. You will love hiking with that. No elk will stand a chance.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Silver Member

I make you a heck of a deal on a Sako 75 Fin lite 270 WSM. It has only 60 rounds through it and it shoots sub MOA. It has a couple kills too a 308 inch bull and a 327 inch bull both shot passed 600 yards. Let me know
Old 04-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Platinum Member

I LOVE my 270wsm! Its my ''go to gun'', Even killed a Oregon record book blackbear with it (un-official but not for long) but I ''need'' a 300wsm to bridge the gap between my 30-06 and 270wsm to my 300wby and 338 win mag. Im in simmilar shoes to you, but my mind is made up .

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Platinum Member

I hunt with a heavy rifle along with a day pack with all the things I need (and then some ... just in case) in the Big Sky Country wilderness.

Elk hunting esp. CO is no cake walk. Please don't take this the wrong way, get into better physical condition instead and you won't have to worry about a pound to two difference in weight between the two rifles. In the end , your better off anyways.

Good luck!

Just my 2-pence for your thoughts.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I hunt with a heavy rifle along with a day pack with all the things I need (and then some ... just in case) in the Big Sky Country wilderness.

Elk hunting esp. CO is no cake walk. Please don't take this the wrong way, get into better physical condition instead and you won't have to worry about a pound to two difference in weight between the two rifles. In the end , your better off anyways.

Good luck!

Just my 2-pence for your thoughts.
FEENIX, if you saw me, you wouldn't say that.

I'm a guy that is in the gym 4 days a week hitting the free weights and mountain bike twice a week every weekend the weather is nice so being in shape isn't my problem.

The other reason for the interest in the Sako aside from the weight is the removable magazine.

We quad in to a point where you walk the rest of the way in and you have to have your gun unloaded on the quads in CO and its a real hassle if you see something while driving where if you needed to get a quick shot out there having to manually load through the bolt on the Remington; and then of course having to unload it manually as well when you leave. A drop mag would be quicker and nicer.

I'm sure I could make due with what I had but there are some good deals out there right now on guns due to the economy and I'm looking for something new as well.