Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Colorado unit 76

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Colorado unit 76

Anyone had this tag before? I'm going to draw it next year and I just starting to "scout" maps. It's a huge unit and I've got some ideas but looking for any/all the info I can get. I'll be hunting 1st rifle season and most likely have horses. I figure since it takes 8+ points to draw I'm not asking for anyone's yearly honey hole. Thanks for any info you share.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Silver Member

Re: Colorado unit 76

Never have hunted it for elk, we do a lot of long range rock chuck shooting up there though. We come in for silverton side not the lake city side. Tons of elk and will be a fun hunt. If you got horses you can come in from the lake city side and park at the "LAKE" and ride in to the basins from there. If you don't have horses PM me and you can get in by foot without killing yourself....chance at a 350 bull for sure
Old 12-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Silver Member

Re: Colorado unit 76

thanks, I will most likely have horses in there. It just depends on my scouting this summer and if I think horses will hinder more than help. (I doubt this will be the case). I'm glad a you said a chance at a 350 bull. I'm going to try for at least 330. I'm use to over the counter wilderness hunts and busting my butt to get to where the elk are so I'm really looking forward to a limited draw area.