Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Colorado over the counter tags?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2010, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

Colorado over the counter tags?

Can anyone give me some info? Is this cow only? what time of the year are these tags for? whats a good unit to hunt? never hunted colorado before. I tryed to draw in new mexico with no luck this year and i need to elk hunt or i may go crazy. Help please!!!!! Would like to hunt on the southern side of the state . do you have to travel to colorado to buy thease tags or can you do it over the phone with a sales agent? (O sorry rifle hunt).
Old 06-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Gold Member

Re: Colorado over the counter tags?

You can do it online, and there are OTC bull tags in certain units. Some units are managed for trophy, some for opportunity. OTC tags tend to be in areas you will see few mature bulls but a lot of 4X4s. Read the regs, study up on those areas. Typically they will be 2nd rifle season or later. The elk run for private land and you have to intercept them.

I have never hunted there myself but researched in case I did not draw MT. Honestly even with an OTC tag and a little research, you would see more elk than I will in MT.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

Re: Colorado over the counter tags?

I've hunted DIY with over the counter tags in CO several times. I normally prefer to go other places because those types of hunts get pretty crowded with people and ditto on small bulls. Its rare to see a 6pt. but lots of raghorns
Several times hunted unit 33. Easy hunt, good access, lots of people. If you do your part good chance to see a small bull. If you dont get something scouted ahead of time might as well wait till middle of week to start hunting. Majority of folks seem to leave after 2 or 3 days.
Also hunted south of Del Norte couple of times. High country, harder to hunt but not so many people.
All that being said Colorado is a great place to punch a tag if you put forth the effort. One great thing is NO WOLVES!