Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Colorado over the counter plains hunts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 10:34 AM
Bronze Member

Colorado over the counter plains hunts

Hello all elk hunters. I am a New Mexico resident, I have already had my bull hunt for this year. Here in New Mexico it can be hard to draw tags at times, I have purchased an over the counter tag in Colorado before due to this. I was looking at the over the counter plains hunting just now, in case I dont draw next year. The season is shown as Sep 1st through Jan 31st. I looked on Google maps and it appears that there is very little public land here, though my map did not indicate BLM or State lands. Is there anything else anyone can tell me about these hunts? Anything would be appreciated.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Colorado over the counter plains hunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garciaaron View Post
Hello all elk hunters. I am a New Mexico resident, I have already had my bull hunt for this year. Here in New Mexico it can be hard to draw tags at times, I have purchased an over the counter tag in Colorado before due to this. I was looking at the over the counter plains hunting just now, in case I dont draw next year. The season is shown as Sep 1st through Jan 31st. I looked on Google maps and it appears that there is very little public land here, though my map did not indicate BLM or State lands. Is there anything else anyone can tell me about these hunts? Anything would be appreciated.
Yes, you are wasting your time, because all of the units east of I-25 (plains units) that are worth a crap are draw only. You won't see elk in most of the "plains" units other than those close to Colorado Springs, Black Forest, and Castle rock. You may want to check someone like huntin' fool for landowner tags for some of these units. The CDOW doesn't want elk on the eastern plains, this is why the tags are either sex, unlimited from Sept 1-Jan 31. I wouldn't waste the money without meeting with some landowners in those units first.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

those tags are meant for the occasional straggler elk that makes it to the eastern plains. We do see them out here but they are very rare.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. I guess I will stick to 81 or 78
Old 11-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

The areas that do have elk are usually guided hunts that will cost you about 5k to 7k to fill your tag. Good luck

http://www.comfortinn.com/hotel-fort...colorado-CO109
Old 12-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Gold Member

I know of a couple small herds of elk on the plains but as others have said the access to the private ground is fairly limited. I'd check with outfitters in that area before you buy a tag. I'd say stick to an area in the mtns and put in your time scouting and hunting and you'll have a better chance.