Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Colorado fires on unit hunts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 PM

Colorado fires on unit hunts

are the fires under control now ?anybody know if unit 24 around trappers lake or east Marvin trail are OK .for hunting or did it get burned out?i plan on being there for the second rifle hunt
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Colorado fires on unit hunts

I have hunted in two different major burns right after they were out one in California hunting blacktail and one in Idaho hunting elk and the animals are right back in there as soon as things are out and it has cooled down so I would not worry much about it. There are always a lot of pockets that did not burn and there seems to be more water. One advantage is you can really see but you get awful dirty.

Here is a very good web site if you need to check on fire locations and status. Do a search for Colorado.

InciWeb the Incident Information System: Current Incidents

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 08-20-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
I have hunted in two different major burns right after they were out one in California hunting blacktail and one in Idaho hunting elk and the animals are right back in there as soon as things are out and it has cooled down so I would not worry much about it. There are always a lot of pockets that did not burn and there seems to be more water. One advantage is you can really see but you get awful dirty.

Here is a very good web site if you need to check on fire locations and status. Do a search for Colorado.

InciWeb the Incident Information System: Current Incidents

Thanks ,that is good to hear.we plan on getting horses and going up to the FLAT TOP area .Thanks again
Old 08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Hey another thing worth mentioning is if the bucks or bulls move back into the burns while still in the velvet and get rubbing against some of the burnt small trees their horns end up almost black at the bases and fade to almost white at the tips. I have three sets that way and are really cool looking.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 08-20-2012, 02:24 PM

Re: Colorado fires in unit hunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
Hey another thing worth mentioning is if the bucks or bulls move back into the burns while still in the velvet and get rubbing against some of the burnt small trees their horns end up almost black at the bases and fade to almost white at the tips. I have three sets that way and are really cool looking.
that would be nice to have a set like that.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

I do not believe your hunt will be affected by any of the wildfires we have had so far this year in CO.

Jack
Old 08-20-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackem View Post
I do not believe your hunt will be affected by any of the wildfires we have had so far this year in CO.

Jack
Sounds good ,i'm ready to saddle up and hit the high country.