close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Reply

Colorado fires on unit hunts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 16
Colorado fires on unit hunts

are the fires under control now ?anybody know if unit 24 around trappers lake or east Marvin trail are OK .for hunting or did it get burned out?i plan on being there for the second rifle hunt
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 08-19-2012, 10:34 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: West Central Idaho
    Posts: 1,218
    Re: Colorado fires on unit hunts

    I have hunted in two different major burns right after they were out one in California hunting blacktail and one in Idaho hunting elk and the animals are right back in there as soon as things are out and it has cooled down so I would not worry much about it. There are always a lot of pockets that did not burn and there seems to be more water. One advantage is you can really see but you get awful dirty.


    Here is a very good web site if you need to check on fire locations and status. Do a search for Colorado.

    InciWeb the Incident Information System: Current Incidents
    __________________
    Jim



    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

    Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 08-20-2012, 09:20 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2012
    Posts: 16
    Re: Colorado fires on unit hunts

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
    I have hunted in two different major burns right after they were out one in California hunting blacktail and one in Idaho hunting elk and the animals are right back in there as soon as things are out and it has cooled down so I would not worry much about it. There are always a lot of pockets that did not burn and there seems to be more water. One advantage is you can really see but you get awful dirty.


    Here is a very good web site if you need to check on fire locations and status. Do a search for Colorado.

    InciWeb the Incident Information System: Current Incidents

    Thanks ,that is good to hear.we plan on getting horses and going up to the FLAT TOP area .Thanks again
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 08-20-2012, 01:35 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: West Central Idaho
    Posts: 1,218
    Re: Colorado fires on unit hunts

    Hey another thing worth mentioning is if the bucks or bulls move back into the burns while still in the velvet and get rubbing against some of the burnt small trees their horns end up almost black at the bases and fade to almost white at the tips. I have three sets that way and are really cool looking.
    __________________
    Jim



    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

    Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 08-20-2012, 02:24 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2012
    Posts: 16
    Re: Colorado fires in unit hunts

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
    Hey another thing worth mentioning is if the bucks or bulls move back into the burns while still in the velvet and get rubbing against some of the burnt small trees their horns end up almost black at the bases and fade to almost white at the tips. I have three sets that way and are really cool looking.
    that would be nice to have a set like that.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: Western Colorado
    Posts: 253
    Re: Colorado fires on unit hunts

    I do not believe your hunt will be affected by any of the wildfires we have had so far this year in CO.

    Jack
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 08-20-2012, 06:54 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2012
    Posts: 16
    Re: Colorado fires on unit hunts

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackem View Post
    I do not believe your hunt will be affected by any of the wildfires we have had so far this year in CO.

    Jack
    Sounds good ,i'm ready to saddle up and hit the high country.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Colorado fires on unit hunts
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Colorado over the counter plains hunts 82ndreddevil Elk Hunting 5 12-04-2011 02:21 AM
    Guided Colorado Mule Deer Hunts MONSTERS!!! TrophyHunter_colorado Deer Hunting 1 06-16-2010 01:02 PM
    Colorado Unit 19 goose37 Elk Hunting 1 09-14-2009 09:45 PM
    Colorado Elk Hunts Available QuietHunter Guns For Sale 1 09-07-2004 09:06 AM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC