Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Colorado elk hunt, non resident, public ground.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

Colorado elk hunt, non resident, public ground.

i got the phone call i have been waiting a long time for. my cousins had a couple openings in their group to go to Craig Colorado to hunt elk. this will be the 10th year of them going.

we will be driving out, hunting bulls and cows. renting horses for 2 weeks, staying in a tent 3 miles up into the mountains. we have to send in for cow draw by April 5th.
We've been talking about this for a long time, and still can't believe we are going.

I still need to decide which gun i am going to be using, a .257 wtby mag, 300 win mag, or 30-378 wtby mag. I'm thinking lightweight would win over power. so i might be taking the .257 loaded with accubonds.

Horses: i have experience in my younger days, my buddy, not so much.

any thoughts and ideas, i am open. I know the unit and area we will be hunting. i have access to a little work out space and plan to be in decent shape for this to make it worth while. everything i read says be ready for the altitude.

looking for any and all opinions to make this a great trip.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: Colorado elk hunt, non resident, public ground.

I'll be hunting northeast of Craig this year also. The 257 Weatherby is enough gun but you may want to take a 30 also. The old cowboys I went with used 25-06's.

I used a 270WSM last time and rolled a cow at 500+(482 to the bush she was behind). I'll be taking my 6.5-284 this year also. If the horse carries the gun it can be heavier.

It wouldn't hurt to get a horse lesson or two. I bought a set of big stirrups that my boots fit in. We haul horses from South Dakota. They get pretty skinny after a week.

Somewhere on here was a link...here-

http://www.wildsheep.org/pdf/six_minute_hill.pdf.

Sounded like a good way to get in shape.

Good Luck!!
Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

been thinking more and more of taking the big 30. we'll be walking alot, but also hunting from horse back to cover ground too.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

Horses are GREAT, but if you do not ride frequently, especially your buddy, SPEND SOME TIME IN A SADDLE the month before you go, or the first 3 days of your 5 day hunt will be MISERABLE.
Take this from an eastern flatlander who speaks from experience!

GOOD LUCK Have Fun

Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 03-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Silver Member

time to get serious. applied and paid for my cow tag this morning.

i haven't rode a horse in at least 10 years. i was around them for the first 15 years of my life. my buddy has never been around them. we will be getting a refresher course over the summer. my sister and mother have horses yet.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

I sent in Thursday.

What Unit you going to?
Old 03-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

units 12, 23, AND 24. baldy mountain.