Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Colo Point Banking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

Re: Colo Point Banking

I see this as a positive -- I have around 6 points now. Why on earth would I blow them on a hunt that only requires half that? It makes non sense. If incentivizes inflating the number of people saving up for high-point hunts, and therefore those hunts continue to require more points.

This year, CO upped the cost significantly for a non-resident to apply for just a point. So by the time you build up enough points for a mid-range hunt you already have quite a bit of cash invested. Who would ever then apply for a hunt requiring less then they have? And it makes it harder to plan because you're always applying in an area you're on the bubble, rather than saying "this should take 6 and I have 8, so I'm a lock and can plan and keep my other 2".

Yes, in the short term there will be some high-point people burning them on back-to-back mid-range hunts. But if the quoted info earlier is accurate, 65-70% of people only have a couple points so there are not a ton of these high-point people around.

I think the negatives are being hyped, IMHO.

States make a lot of money off their non-resident tags. I've hunted Montana 4 years and was building points there. But there, you can't just apply for a point and if you don't put in for a number of years they zero out your points. I swore it was 3 years, but I didn't apply 2 years and they zeroed my points. So I'm now looking to give my money to someone other than Montana because they make it a PIA to plan long-term. This current step in CO makes long-term planning easier. I think that's a good thing.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Colo Point Banking

I may not be getting a total grasp on everything about this but what I do know is that there are a lot of PPs in the system that are not getting used. I personally have 6 elk and 8 deer. If some of those above me start getting used - wherever / however- then I think that I will start getting closer to the top.

Life is short, Hunt hard while you can.