Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

CO OTC 2nd season 2 bulls down long range style

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

CO OTC 2nd season 2 bulls down long range style

So after tons of research over the last year me and my friend set out of Maryland in the Mega Cab all loaded up and headed out west to Colorado for our very first big game elk hunt. It was on public land and unguided. We backpacked in and setup camp. We were up high in 1000+ ft at first and saw a lot of hunters, snow and few tracks. Saw some cows but not much. So we went to plan B Monday at a lower elevation around 7-8kft and no snow. Saw a good heard across the canyon first afternoon at 1400yds and spotted a good bull. Closed the distance to 800 and setup. My first shot nicked his back and I corrected and anchored him quickly with the second one after he ran 20yds. Super pumped!!! Then the worked began. Packed him all out in the Eberlestock's two miles thought the hills and two trips later( most physically challenging thing I've ever done but soo worth it.

It wasn't until Friday we spotted another good lonely bull at 1000yds, we closed the distance to 688yds and my buddy thumped him hard. We used my custom Beanland 7mm rem mag suppressed shooting the 180 bergers on both and they performed awesome. Couldn't be happier with our hunt and experience we had. Here's pics of both our bulls and also good videos of the shots I took with my iPhone through my vortex spotter

Videos of both

http://m.youtube.com/channel/UCECG1n5sTjCuRoyzkPhtzqQ
Old 12-03-2013, 10:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: CO OTC 2nd season 2 bulls down long range style

Awesome! I am hoping to throw together a similar trip next fall.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Gold Member

Awesome, congratulations! Going two-for-two on bulls would be an accomplishment for anyone hunting Colorado, let along a couple of first timers! Way to go. I am sure you guys must have put in a bunch of prep work to have that kind of success the first go-around. Many people dream of being able to make the trip out here and have that kind of success, but few actually do it.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks fellas, we were both tickled pink with how our trip turned out. Couldn't have been luckier.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Nice job, makes us flat landers proud. Impressed with decision on changing tactics after one day. Always a tough call. But worked well.

Nice shooting.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

That is completely awesome. You put so much work into scouting had to adapt. But I sure hope one thing that is not overlooked that made things happen here is, you weren't carrying a 300 yard rifle. And you knew what your gun would do if you could find them. The number one thing that a lot of people I know do that causes them to not kill elk is they don't make it happen when they find them...... Congrats on all the prep that took place to make this happen.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Bronze Member

A little warning about the flurry of f-bombs in the first video would have been appreciated. My 6 year old who was watching with me was less than impressed.