Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

CO elk - Which week should I bow hunt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 AM
Field Editor

Re: CO elk - Which week should I bow hunt?

Thanks for all the great info guys!

Here's what I've decided.

You all brought me to the conclusion that I expected, which is that for a group of archery elk hunters with limited experience, going later in the season is the way to go. We'd have the excitement of hearing more bugles and have more chances of seeing, hearing and encountering bulls, which is really what it's all about.

With that said, I'm planning our trip for the first week in September.

It ends up I was invited to be a groomsman in a buddy's wedding the last weekend of the archery season, so that last week (after muzzle loader season) won't work. Doesn't he know he's screwing up my hunt planning?

I really don't want to archery hunt during the ML season this first time, so that leaves the week before.

Here are the positives of going early as I see them:
  • Relatively small chance of having to deal with difficult weather up at 11-13,000 feet .
  • We'll be hunting an area with good access to above-timberline - hopefully we'll have success glassing elk up high - less pressured too.
  • A couple of us will try to draw muley tags - hopefully we'll see some velvet bucks up high too.
  • Hopefully bulls will come to calling as some early season hunters have said.
  • Easier (warmer) camping.

So there you have it. If anyone has any early season archery elk advice, I'd really appreciate it.

As I said, we'll be at 11-13,000 feet. In addition to the above-timberline terrain, we'll hunt several long valleys with small open parks thoughout and plenty of water (so hunting water probably won't be a priority). We'll plan to focus on north facing slopes and benches. We'll spend the early days with some of us glassing up high and some of us burning some boot leather in the timber trying to locate the elk.

My wife and I will be heading out to the hunt area in late July for some scouting and camping. Hopefully I'll learn some things about where the elk seem to have been in past seasons (I understand that if we see elk in late July we shouldn't expect them to still be in the same locations come September).

I'm planning to really work hard between now and then to get in the best shape I've been in years. I'm in pretty good shape, but I want to really step it up.

This hunt is something I've been dreaming about for a long time. It's going to be hard to sleep for the next 6 months.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Gold Member

Re: CO elk - Which week should I bow hunt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Backus View Post
Thanks for all the great info guys!

My wife and I will be heading out to the hunt area in late July for some scouting and camping. Hopefully I'll learn some things about where the elk seem to have been in past seasons (I understand that if we see elk in late July we shouldn't expect them to still be in the same locations come September).

I'm planning to really work hard between now and then to get in the best shape I've been in years. I'm in pretty good shape, but I want to really step it up.
Your plan to head up to do some scouting is well worth the effort. I'm not familiar with NW Colorado, but I have hunted for years up in the Grand Mesa National Forest south of Grand Junction. The basins all over that area are filled with gamble oaks (short thick oak 'bushes'). At lower elevations (~7500 ft) the acorns ripen much sooner and fall to the ground in late August & early September. This draws the elk herds down to the lower elevations for the first couple of weeks of September.

Like you, I always avoid the muzzle loader season, and once a few gunshots ring out, along with the acorns ripening up higher, the herds move back up above 9000 ft for the rest of the rut. So my point is keep your eyes open for anything that might attract a big bull down to lower elevations!

I'll likely be hunting the last week of the archery season with an OTC tag, and like you am busting my tail now to get in shape. It's easy for most of us to put off the fitness side of things... I have seen several of my friends absolutely hit the wall during a hunt and just makes the whole experience miserable. So stay motivated and hit it hard all summer long!

Good luck!