Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

CO elk - Which week should I bow hunt?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Field Editor

Re: CO elk - Which week should I bow hunt?

Thanks for the continued input guys. I love hearing about your personal experiences!

I'll be going with a few buddies.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

Do rutting, vocal bulls trump less-pressured bulls?

Absolutely! #1 reason is they are easier to find. Nothing quite compares to the thrill of calling in a nasty, stinking, SCREAMING, 700lb animal with huge red eyes and slobber dripping from his snout! Close encounters like this are not uncommon. Later in the season is always better. September can be so hot and dry early in the month. Cooler weather and precip always gets the bulls fired up.
I have never really had any problems bowhunting during the muzzle season, there are not that many tags given out. Just remember that the further into the backcountry you go , the less pressured the elk are. get a diaphram call and start practicing now..AJ
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
Do rutting, vocal bulls trump less-pressured bulls?

Absolutely! #1 reason is they are easier to find. Nothing quite compares to the thrill of calling in a nasty, stinking, SCREAMING, 700lb animal with huge red eyes and slobber dripping from his snout! Close encounters like this are not uncommon. Later in the season is always better. September can be so hot and dry early in the month. Cooler weather and precip always gets the bulls fired up.
I have never really had any problems bowhunting during the muzzle season, there are not that many tags given out. Just remember that the further into the backcountry you go , the less pressured the elk are. get a diaphram call and start practicing now..AJ
Grin! That's putting it better! I haven't noticed the red eyes . But, I've felt bugles resonate through my innards from a matter of feet. I killed my first archery elk in Colorado, screamin' his head off at at ten tiny feet! Slobberin', screamin', blowin' steam, rakin' trees, flinging mud and fighting off other bulls to get to come to my partners cow calls. Gotta love elk hunting!!

Go late! The peak of the rut is something you don't want to miss!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

you are right grit..everyone knows the musical, lilting , 3 note whistles.....but what really gets the blood pumping is when you FEEL that almost lion-like roar from just a few feet away. i have seen grown men go white as a sheet when that happens, (and felt my own cojones shrivel up into my gut!) your shots are normally measured in arrow lengths at that point....
Old 02-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

dont know if you had read this or not.....you might like it.

The Last Minute Elk --- The Story Of “Ole Crooked Horn”
Old 02-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
dont know if you had read this or not.....you might like it.

The Last Minute Elk --- The Story Of “Ole Crooked Horn”
I hadn't read it. Thoroughly enjoyed the story. Thanks! I've put a few stories on here. Goodgrouper started a thread titled, "First last and only post" when the archery section was first started. I put a good story and a couple photos in that thread to give him a hard time.

It is impossible to convey the intensity an elk can put into a bugle. They roar, growl, scream, and whistle. Up close, the sounds are saturated with with energy and emotion. Wonderfully exciting hunting!
Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

I can't wait to do my first DIY elk bowhunt!!! Good luck this year.