Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

CO Elk Hunting and Loss of Freedom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 10:03 AM
Silver Member

Re: CO Elk Hunting and Loss of Freedom

Agreed, and here the seasons seem very close together to me. There isn't much time for animals to rest.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for your comments. Guess we were caught offguard by the changes. Our group of 4 and about 20 other friends we have made over the years were a little surprised. A lot of the seniors were upset and it affected the overall mood. I have mixed feelings because it was kind of nice once we hiked over the top to know we were not going to see an ATV come zipping by. That has happened more than a few times but since we try to get away from any road it's really just an annoyance. I really felt bad for our older guys who love it out there and feel they are being discriminated against and being pushed out. I realize there are many jerks out there hotdogging and tearing things up but these older guys just need a little help, drive slow and try to respect the land.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:14 AM

They should not let horse traffic in wilderness arias
Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmontana View Post
They should not let horse traffic in wilderness arias
You've got to be kidding.....right. I just got back from a wilderness elk hunting trip in the Teton Wilderness area next to Yellowstone NP and the only way in there is a 30 mile horseback ride or walk. You propose to keep everyone out except hikers? Unreal! I've done about 30 of these trips in variour wilderness area in the western states. If the outfitters & horse/mule packers didn't maintain the trail system, there would be none. The USFS certain doesn't do it. The horse/mule packers are the ones that blazed these trails years & years ago. When the Sierra Club first started to use the backcountry (now wilderness) areas in California in the early 1900's, all their gear was packed in by these packers. Sounds like we got a Troll here...sure not a regular.

Get real!

Last edited by Colorado Cowboy; 10-22-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:01 PM

No offense, but I'm personally happy to see ATVs banned wherever possible.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Bronze Member

I understand what you mean but somewhere, someone or some group is saying, "personally, I want to see all ATVs, shooting and hunters banned from the forest".

I had a neighbor whom I called "a Fudd". He was an avid hunter whose guns included a 338 Magnum. He was all for banning handguns and tactical rifles just as long as no one touched his duck guns or his rifles. As we all know there are groups what want to ban all guns and will slowly chip away to get small victories towards their total goal. His 338 is looked at as a "sniper rifle" but the gun banning groups.

As much as I don't like the ATVs scaring the animals that I did not shoot, I could have chosen to hunt wilderness area instead. Maybe someday I will get an ATV but for now I walk.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-07-2011 at 08:56 PM.