Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Chama NM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Bronze Member

Chama NM

I am planning a archery Elk hunt next year in Chama NM.I have been researching this for over a year now.I plan on going with Fishtail outfitters.Now has anyone Elk hunted near Chama? and has anyone got any info on Fishtail outfitters? This will be my 1st Elk hunt.Wanted to do it myself.But I figured go guided the 1st time at least.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Chama NM

Don't know the area but your decision on getting a guide for your first elk hunt is a good one in my opinion. Best way to learn about hunting elk is a good guide.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

I hunted the Rio Chama area (IIRC, Unit #4 ???) in the late 1990s with a friend while stationed at Kirtland AFB. The only ones we've seen were on private properties . There were monster bulls harvested in that area the year before we hunted ... taken on private properties.

Cannot confirm it but, I was told that elk herd are not resident -- migrated from CO. Agree with WyoElk2Hunt on having a guide/outfitter.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM
Bronze Member

Oh yeah I aint going to drive out there and spend all that money.Just trying to learn.Now if I lived a lot closer.I would chance it.But at 52 if I got one on the ground.That would be hell.Not to mention all the small things.I know nothing about.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 PM
Gold Member

Jakebrake

I looked at their website, and their prices seem quite reasonable for that area, considering it includes a Landowner Permit.
My advice to you is get their reference list for the last 3 years of people who DID NOT KILL, and ONLY CALL those people who DID NOT kill any thing. They will give you a better picture of the outfitter than the guy who killed a monster, he will be happy even the only food was MRE's.
You need to talk to as many as you can, phone calls are CHEAP compared to the hunt, some will blame the outfitter for every thing including the weather.
Have a list of questions, but don't grill the guy, I have found that most hunters LOVE to talk about hunts they have been on, so most of the calls will be fun.
One of the questions I ask if the guy talks about how tough it was, "do you think you would have had a better hunt if you have been in better condition"?
GOOD LUCK, have fun, and remember get in the best physical condition you can, it will make all the difference.

Dave
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 06-09-2011, 09:12 PM

Jakebrake, I have hunted there a few times. There are some big bulls around there. What part around chama are you going to hunt?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:08 PM

Beautiful country. There are plenty of elk, if you know where to look. I agree the guided hunt is the way to go. Let us know how it turns out.