Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Cardio Workouts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 11:07 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Cardio Workouts?

What kind of a hunter are you?? I do two types of hunting for elk. I blaze up to a peak 2 hours before light to get set up on a ridge, and an hour or two after sun-up I slowly but methodically pick my way through the timber.

When it comes to cardio, the answer for me is simple. Walking. I walk between 3 and 5 miles a day (in about an hour over various terrain) with a pack that weighs what my gun and normal hunting pack would weigh. I arrive at the hunt location 3 days previous to acclimate. I also combine this routine with two 15 minute high intensity workouts on the elliptical with the same loaded pack...one at the beginning of the walk, and one at the end. Don't overlook balance and coordination exercises, and as mentioned good food is a must as is LOTS of water to help your body compensate for increased calorie burning and higher rates of evaporation through respiration.

I hunt with alot of guys that are physically just muscular beasts, but all of those muscles do you no good if you haven't conditioned your heart to handle prolonged periods of sustained work that comes from elk hunting.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Bronze Member

I keep at it all year in the summer bike 30 to60 miles a day when weather permits this year I have 3700 miles on the road bike. Between times I have a octane 47e elliptical that I use as well as a trainer for my bike. Usually do a hr on the elliptical and try to keep my heart rate at 145 to 150 for the time I am on that as well I have a hr monitor on my bike the same there too. My average speed on the bike usually is at 19 mph.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by permaculture View Post
I lean more towards the high-intensity interval training size of things these days and agree in principle to the 2 posts I quoted + CO Shooters whose quote did not append when I paged ahead.

The 50+ year old Senior VP came in a few weeks ago talking about how he ran 9 miles, to which I told him he wasted his time and it did nothing for him.

If you want something else aside from sprinting, tabata and burpess, (all really great btw), go to you tube and search for "Thrusters". They are a front squat and push press combined. Lots of fun
I'm not sure why you think running "does nothing" for you. You need stamina, and you need strength. You can be an ox dead lifting 700lbs, but it's meaningless if you are completely winded in a mile. Conversely, you can have all the stamina in the world but if you can't climb or carry weight it is of little use in hunting.

I don't run a hundred miles a week anymore, more like 50-70, but that's enough that I can keep up with anyone in the mountains. By my own admission I don't do enough strength work (not enough hills to run here on the flatlands) but I can still back out 80-100lbs of meat at altitude.

Running gives endurance....strength too, if you do the proper types of workouts. It's far from useless. altitude means low oxygen....running builds the ability to intake and use oxygen better. Helps "a bit".
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

I am going to MT in 2 weeks for my first elk hunt. I am 55 and I had my left hip resurfaced last year. I have been hiking the mountains in N AL. Some consider them foothills. But I have been hauling my Eberlystock carrying my rifle in the pack plus 10 - 20oz water bottles. I do Krav 2 nights a week(VERY HARD) And P90x 3x a week. I hope it is enough.
I will let you know if it was enough when I get back.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:24 PM

My buddies and are headed to CO in October for 1st rifle season (if we get drawn) and started out training about Jan 1st. I have been running on the treadmill and biking on my indoor setup. Also working in push ups, sit ups and pull-ups. Switch it up every few weeks so workouts don't get stale. There are some true beasts on this sight and your workouts give me motivation. So thank you!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Really if your are serious about getting in shape anything less than keeping your HR above 145-160 for 25+ mins is a waste of time. Also since different muscles are needed to hike rather than run I would advise a fast paced march on an inclined treadmill.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanm70 View Post
Really if your are serious about getting in shape anything less than keeping your HR above 145-160 for 25+ mins is a waste of time. Also since different muscles are needed to hike rather than run I would advise a fast paced march on an inclined treadmill.
Great advice, I actually did the fast march on an incline this afternoon. Time not wasted! And I'd much rather march than run