Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Cardio Workouts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Cardio Workouts?

My calves are hurting just reading the posts....lol...

I believe if I ever get the chance to go Elk hunting at high elevation, I'll take a chopper in and have hired help bring the carcass out.

...and I'll fly out as well.

If I was only young again.....
Old 07-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Another good treadmill exercise for your legs is do a 3 min warm up, 3mph, at 0 incline. Every 2 min go up either a half mph and half incline. Work your self up in speed and incline as it is comfortable for you. Long legs prevail over short in any running or walking exercise. When you have reached your peak with the speed and incline, do it in reverse working back down to your starting point. I will do 30 min up and 30 min down. This will work your quads, calfs, hamstrings, and gluteus.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures
Old 08-26-2012, 05:58 PM

I have started to go a workout called a burpee ladder. look it up it is pretty hard but simple. Its like a pushup then a jumping jack.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:55 PM

Tabata training is great especially if you have limited time to workout. A tabata exercise can be completed in only 4 minutes. It falls under the category of high intensity interval training. It consists of 20 seconds of intense training followed by 10 seconds of rest. You do this for 8 rounds. Virtually any exercise can be used as a tabata. Squats, burpees, situps, push press, etc. It is one of the fastest ways to build cardio in the shortest amount of time. Running and swimming are great too if you have the time and the fitness to do so.

Eating healthy while in the mountains is huge. You will burn a lot of calories and you need all the high quality food you can get. Don't be that guy who packs a lot of potato chips and has pop tarts for breakfast.

Hunting in the mountains at high altitude is tough, especially if you are coming from low elevation. Know your physical limits and hunt smart.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

I hate running.....can do it all day but hate it. I like a heavy bag and a good pare of gloves for cardio. punch, kick and move. good for the footing control as well.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jakes View Post
I have started to go a workout called a burpee ladder. look it up it is pretty hard but simple. Its like a pushup then a jumping jack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesTrident View Post
Tabata training is great especially if you have limited time to workout. A tabata exercise can be completed in only 4 minutes. It falls under the category of high intensity interval training. It consists of 20 seconds of intense training followed by 10 seconds of rest. You do this for 8 rounds. Virtually any exercise can be used as a tabata. Squats, burpees, situps, push press, etc. It is one of the fastest ways to build cardio in the shortest amount of time. Running and swimming are great too if you have the time and the fitness to do so.

Eating healthy while in the mountains is huge. You will burn a lot of calories and you need all the high quality food you can get. Don't be that guy who packs a lot of potato chips and has pop tarts for breakfast.

Hunting in the mountains at high altitude is tough, especially if you are coming from low elevation. Know your physical limits and hunt smart.

I lean more towards the high-intensity interval training size of things these days and agree in principle to the 2 posts I quoted + CO Shooters whose quote did not append when I paged ahead.

The 50+ year old Senior VP came in a few weeks ago talking about how he ran 9 miles, to which I told him he wasted his time and it did nothing for him.

If you want something else aside from sprinting, tabata and burpess, (all really great btw), go to you tube and search for "Thrusters". They are a front squat and push press combined. Lots of fun
Old 10-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

Really depends on what kind of hunting you are doing. I would say match your cardio routine as closely to your hunting style as possible. If you are pack hunting, load your pack up with whatever you think you will take with you on your hunt, and find some hills and start marching. Time yourself. Don't neglect weight training on your legs as well. Endurance is key. Being able to squat a Buick doesn't help you when you are having to hike uphill 6+miles just to get to where you want to camp. Just as important as your condition is your gear. You can be in awesome shape, but if you start getting blisters on your heels, or your pack doesn't fit your right, you might as well have done nothing to get ready for your hunt.